997.1 Carwash question

Tong

hi guys

i have just returned from overseas holiday and washed my car today in my garage.

the car is on and I use water to wash it exteriorly. Found the steam coming out from the engine cabin. I think it's because the water get thou the cover and get into hot engine. ( I haven't opened the engine cover, it's closed when I washed.

Then i turned the car off to avoid any damage.

just wondering for this kind of car, what is the best way to wash it? To avoid any potential demage?

Or it's just normal to wash it in hot engine.

thanks

guys

I'm assuming it was just a little bit of steam coming from the engine bay and the car was warm at the time. Most of the time the steam comes from the stock mufflers and heat shields I've noticed on a cold day and sometimes out of the wheel wells. If you open up the bay while the car is on you will easily be able to confirm the source of the steam. 

As long as you don't point the hose directly down the engine bay air intake you shouldn't have an issue washing.

• 1 month later...

Also avoid automatic car washes I've read quite a bit about how they have caused various minor issues. 

NEVER use an automatic car wash unless you don't care about your car. They are terrible with paint, and good for breaking external fittings

Archived