SC Melbourne purchase help/opinions

CarreraG50

Hi Guys,

Just talked to a really nice guy about his 82SC. Sounds like the sort of car I'm after(good driver) and the price seems OK.

However before I pay $300->600 for a PPI, would anyone be able to cast an unbiased eye over it, no responsibility on your part, just want an honest opinion. I have paid for two PPI's on cars that are represented as "great condition", only to be presented with pages (I am not joking) of faults.

The second thing, Nine Plus have maintained the car for the last eight years, the owner has requested they do the PPI, (he trusts them to look after the car while in their shop) I am sure they are a reputable/honest/experienced team of guys, however will they "we know this car it's all good ". without really taking a "fresh" look at it, especially for those hidden rust issues.(I'm sure 9+ will do a great job, just interested in your opinions)

The car is located in North Melbourne. As always any comments, advice appreciated.

Thanks

John

The car can be maintained by the best mechanic, however if the owner is a tight ass then it won’t matter as the car will still be in average condition. So please get an independent PPI.

PPI’s will always find pages of issues with cars of this age. It’s a fact of life.

Some items may be general wear and tear others might be a little more serious.

In the end you need to weigh up the total package and make a call.

It's a tough one - I can see why the owner would be picky about who's prodding at his P&J, and I can also see why a prospective owner would want somebody other than the regular workshop carrying out the PPI for the reasons outlined above.

There are two advantages to the prospective purchaser to having the regular workshop carry out the PPI - you can ask the workshop what sort of customer the current owner is, and get a feel for whether he has been happy to spend what it takes, or whether he pinches his pennies 'til the squeal for mercy. And you can also discuss what work has been done recently. Yes, you could prolly get that info from the service history that should accompany the car, but a flesh and blood person explaining what work has (and has not) been done could be useful.

James

SPEND THE MONEY FOR INDEPENDANT...

take it from someone who has purchased a car maintained by "reputable" shops...

12 months down the road and the deep dark secrets of the DODGY work are still raising their ugly heads even with receipts for "repairs"...

$600 is cheap insurance...

Archived