Spa or Nurburgring track drive?

DJM

Business trip was confirmed today - November 2017 to Europe, into Amsterdam, out of Frankfurt.  We will have a week to spare.  Timing means Bathurst is off the cards - instead we will be well within reach of Spa and Nurburg, especially if we hire some autobahn blaster to get there.

I drove a 125i track car at Nurburgring in 2013.  Great fun but needed more grunt.  I think this time I need to step it up.  So what's the consensus:

- Spa or Nurburgring?

- GT4 manual or GT3 PDK?

http://www.rsrnurburg.com/car-rentals/porsche-gt3-991-rsr-edition

hang the expense, you only live once.  The 50k Euro excess on a GT3 put me off last time, especially given the reputation of Nurburgring.   Must.......take.....care.

Any other tips for 2 blokes to fill in a week.  We did Porsche and Mercedes museums last time.  Covering distance is no issue, last time we bombed though 7 countries in 7 days.........

UAE stopover is also likely.  This would be cool to checkout....

https://youtu.be/jPDjAp2zYg8

Spa - consider grabbing the train across to Uk and do Palmer Motorsport Day  www.palmersport.com/  , easy from Amsterdam

Also maybe take a rental out of Zurich and drive Stelvio Pass or something or up to Fox Glacier.. roads are empty in summer mostly 

Ring may be closed in November as it's winter, I've seen it covered in snow at that time of year. Same goes for the Stelvio Pass

Spa is just the best circuit in the world, I prefer it over the Nurburgring to be honest :ph34r: Get something with serious grunt though, otherwise take a good book to read down the Kemmel straight :lol:

Fly to Spain and do Ascari, mate who lives down that way reckons it's stunning. Oh and most of the taxi fleet out of Schipol are Tesla's, which is quite an eye opener. 150kmh along the motorway in almost complete silence....

Good point Mike .. forgot about the white stuff .. although its been good late into the year recently on quite a few Swiss road.

I do agree thought , not been but the bro in law has ASCARI .. winner winner chicken dinner

@DJM Do it

Last time we did Nurburgring late oct:early November and lucked it with a fine dry day.  But I accept it could go either way.  It certainly was cold.  GT3 at Spa is probably the preferred option and there are a few dates within our window.

fly to Spain sounds good too and weather less likely to be an issue

thanks for the tips

That track looks great but to avoid another flight, we locked in Spa - we can drive there easily from Amsterdam or Frankfurt.  The plan now is to fly into Frankfurt, hire a decent road car (Merc C43 is the quickest thing I found that's reasonably priced), barrel down the autobahn to Nurburgring and punt the rental car around for a few laps, just because we're close (it's a public road).  A few days later we go to Spa, we've booked4 November track day.  I'm in the GT3, my mate went for M3 V8 but RSR are happy for us to chop and change so I'll have a go in the M3 as well.  These cars are booked, should be epic. 

http://www.rsrspa.com/car-rentals/porsche-gt3-991-rsr-edition

http://www.rsrspa.com/car-rentals/bmw-m3-e92-rsr-edition

having driven both road and track cars on track, we decided the cage, semi slicks, KWs etc would make for a much more enjoyable day out.  Fingers crossed that the weather is good

When that's all done, we'll head to Amsterdam and get to the boring work related stuff...A supplier is paying our way so we better show up.

Things like that can happen on any track any tine especially with coolant or oil dropped that you can't see.  But that complex of corners does have a reputation.  Excess on the GT3 is something like 50k Euro so that will keep the attention focused......

Seen Rich's latest videos in his F12? Quite some beast that thing ?

Wow, he has come a long way in his car journey since I first met him in Evo's! I hadn't really kept up to date with what he was doing and it is interesting to see he has had a fairly similar journey to me, until the F12.

Wow, he has come a long way in his car journey since I first met him in Evo's! I hadn't really kept up to date with what he was doing and it is interesting to see he has had a fairly similar journey to me, until the F12.

Yep, certainly has. First met him back in the Lotus / Caternail days, scarily that's knocking on for 20 years ago now. The GT3 and 993 are  locked away in storage and he bought that brand new F12 in May to go with his GolfR delivery wagon! ? 

@DJM don't forget that a number of the mainstream rental companies near the Ring have links with the circuit to take registrations of cars, I do know they've banned people from renting cars from them if they discover the car's been taken round the track

We're picking up a car at Frankfurt airport which we need for a week or so and we'll do a side trip to the ring.  I'm rarely in Europe so if they black list me I don't care.  

Yep, certainly has. First met him back in the Lotus / Caternail days, scarily that's knocking on for 20 years ago now.

OT, but were you into Lotus/Caterhams as well? My brother raced them reasonably seriously (still does) plus did track days at that time. I seem to remember  chasing the 2 of them around Oulton Park in my RS. Couldn't touch them in the corners, but bring on the straights!

OT, but were you into Lotus/Caterhams as well? My brother raced them reasonably seriously (still does) plus did track days at that time. I seem to remember  chasing the 2 of them around Oulton Park in my RS. Couldn't touch them in the corners, but bring on the straights!

Yep, owned a VX220, drove many a Caternail right up to the R500 as that's what we all progressed to. I used to help out with Bookatrack trackdays way back when Jonny and Sarah started the business, there's probably a group of about 20-30 of us from the early days who used to do nearly every trackday they organised and that's where I met a Rich. There was (and still is) another forum where we all congregate, which used to be hidden on the Bookatrack site.

Mike

Sorry for the late reply. I didn't know Jonny well but I met him a few times. I wasn't really involved with the scene but my brother David was, although he moved away from trackdays to sprints where he has won his class and overall a number of seasons. His car runs in various classes, because he has 2 different engines and he decides each season which he is going to run, but its basically a superlight with a few mods. I think that the Caterhams were the backbone of the trackday scene back in the day, before people moved on to cars like the 964RS's when they were still dirt cheap. Diehards stayed, but others progressed. Good times.

Archived