996 Mufflers

Jim45

Been thinking I want more growl out of the car and a gundo / fister may be the way to go.

Was going to mod my current mufflers but they are after market and don't really want to ruin them - maybe better to buy some bog standard mufflers and mod them.

Anyone know if the early mufflers from a 996.1 will fit a 996.2?

Cheers

Jim.

lol i think i'm opposite, i've got aftermarket and actually want stock with gundo to go quieter. But i keep flip flopping.

btw, i believe Russ has a pair of 996 exhausts, i believe they are C4S, and random reports are they may or may not fit C2's.

If you have aftermarket, wouldn't this be louder than gundo anyway? or are they stock aftermarket?

Cheers for the replies..

I have Cargraphic mufflers already and it does sound nice - was just wondering if it would be more aggressive with Gundo'd stockies.

Not sure where the Cargraphic's sit in regard to noise tbh......i.e step up or step down from Gundo'd stockies.

I think bypass will be too mental for my daily and I've read it will make the car drone...

Initial post was a thought as I've seen a set of OEM's for $150.

Jim.

i always thought it was this in order of loudness:

1. Stock
  2. Gundo/Fister - idle quiet- on the beans a little extra.
  3. most aftermarket - grumble everywhere.
  4. full exhaust/ x pipe whatever else plus aftermarket.

When you say bypass, you mean gundo hack? pipe joining inlet and outlet of the exhaust? Too many meanings floating around.

Heard a lot of good things about the cargraphic though.

edit:

Is yours the TUV none? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUe7VZp0Peo 

Not too loud actually.

996.1 and 996.2 C2, C4, C4s all have the same mounting points and will fit the same muffler. The stock 996.1 muffler internals are different to the 996.2 muffler and requires a different modification to achieve the semi bypass. 996.1 has a joining pipe between the inlet and outlet pipe. 996.2 has a pipe that comes from out of the can into the outlet pipe. I don't know what the result would be if you put a 996.2 modded muffler on a 996.1. I had Fisters on my car. I think the bypass was about 2". They didn't drone but was still loud when you gave it some beans. I found them annoying with my tiptronic when just plodding around but would have kept them if I had a manual. Here's a video. Having been in Mike's 996.2 with Cargraphic mufflers, the Fisters were quite a bit louder. Maybe Cargraphic do a couple different noise levels though as I've seen others on Youtube that seemed comparable in volume to the Fisters. If you can pick up OEM for $150 and get them modded for a couple hundred, you could sell them at a profit if you didn't like them.

Because mine's a tip and a daily, I ended up going back to the stock mufflers and doing the Hemholtz box bypass which ups the induction noise over 4,000rpm. It added a few db when you mash the fun pedal. My bro even commented that he loves how it screams when you give it some beans.

Cheers for the response .

I have the modded air-box as well, was already done when I bought the car, it does make a difference. (I have the original part as well).

Should be near the top of the "to-do" list for a new 996 owner!

Jim.

The "bypass pipes" are horrible. My friend that sold me his Porsche had them for about 2 weeks and changed back to stock. He purchased the fabspeed ones. http://www.fabspeed.com/996-carrera-muffler-bypass-pipes/   it sounded like having no muffler  (as it didnt) . On the rev's it did sound cool but way too loud for any sane person ,drone and hollow idle.  Apartently the afterhours muffler (acording to US forums) seem to be the loudest without bypass - again comes with drone etc etc. http://www.afterhoursautomotive.com/porschemufflers.html

I have the gundo hack. Its a nice sound.  

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I recieved this exhaust from Kline Innovation for my 996 C4S the other day. I'll let you know what it is like once it is on the car.

Cheers,

Harry.

IMG_2656.JPG

IMG_2655.JPG

Good choice.  I have a Kline on my 996 turbo with 100 cel HJS cat.  Good quality welds, very subtle at idle, civilized up 5000 rpm and above that  GT3 overtones .  But who gives a toss about noise as the primary reason for upgrading, eg throttle response was better and very noticeable over stock.

Be interesting to see what

Archived