1973 911 wiring diagram

stcos85

Where is the best place to get a wiring diagram for a november 1973 911.

Happy to buy a manual as long as its got a decent diagram

Also my headlight switch started smoking today. I think its the dimmer burnt out. Can i wire it so the dimmer part is isolated

http://www.pelicanparts.com/911/911_parts/911_electrical_diagrams.htm

Are you sure it is the switch smoking? 

I would think it would be more likely to be one of the unfused dash board light circuits has shorted.  However if you remove the switch knob and the switch mounting ring, you should be able to remove the switch while it is still connected to wiring and examine.

Good luck!

I tried all the wires seperately and was able to get the dash lights to work bypassing the switch so they were alright.

The switch is out and i can see the windings have burnt out.

I will have a look at the link you posted.

I think there is a seperate power feed for the dimmer but not sure

Where is the best place to get a wiring diagram for a november 1973 911.

Happy to buy a manual as long as its got a decent diagram

Also my headlight switch started smoking today. I think its the dimmer burnt out. Can i wire it so the dimmer part is isolated

I've found the Haynes manual pretty good.

Yes, a fuse on the dimable dash lights circuit and a fuse on the ashtray light circuit is a prudent modification while you are there - assuming the earlier cars are anything like the later G series cars. 

Yes Russ and the hi/Lo switch also carries the full current as well as the switch.  I've recent added a set of relays and the difference has been night and day......sorry

( I used a J West relay kit but a bit of time and 30 bucks of wire, connectors and relays would do the same thing)

• 3 weeks later...

The elec found a short behind the headlight that had been causing all the issues, even causing the wipers to operate as soon as the ignition was switched on. The light switch had a different labelled terminal on it so I refitted the old switch and so far all good. I will fit the fuse as advised.

now my problem is the reverse light. I have had the gearbox rebuilt and refitted so would have expected that to work. I get power to one side of the switch but when I put it in reverse i get no power to the other side. I assume it has to be the switch having had the gearbox rebuilt. any ideas.

The elec found a short behind the headlight that had been causing all the issues, even causing the wipers to operate as soon as the ignition was switched on. The light switch had a different labelled terminal on it so I refitted the old switch and so far all good. I will fit the fuse as advised.

now my problem is the reverse light. I have had the gearbox rebuilt and refitted so would have expected that to work. I get power to one side of the switch but when I put it in reverse i get no power to the other side. I assume it has to be the switch having had the gearbox rebuilt. any ideas.

Check that the pin (pushrod) is being pushed the appropriate distance to operate the switch contacts and that the pin is the correct length.

I bought a new switch and had this problem.  Turned out that the switch required too much movement to operate.  Bad batch apparently.

Check that the pin (pushrod) is being pushed the appropriate distance to operate the switch contacts and that the pin is the correct length.

I bought a new switch and had this problem.  Turned out that the switch required too much movement to operate.  Bad batch apparently.

how do i know how long the pin should be

how do i know how long the pin should be

can't remember or find the answer to that one yet. 

There is an article on Pelican somewhere that explains it.

I should have asked, what model gearbox? Did they replace the switch, do you still have the old one?

Archived