Front struts M474 option Bilstein re-build ?

AndrewW

The front end of my 79 911 is quite soft compared to a couple of mates cars, I am thinking that strut replacement is in order, my car has option 474 therefore it should have (to be confirmed) Bilstein struts.

Are the strut inserts re-buildable ?

Any idea of cost to re-build ?

Can they be replaced with another brand (if not re-buildable)?

The front end of my 79 911 is quite soft compared to a couple of mates cars, I am thinking that strut replacement is in order, my car has option 474 therefore it should have (to be confirmed) Bilstein struts.

Are the strut inserts re-buildable ?

Any idea of cost to re-build ?

Can they be replaced with another brand (if not re-buildable)?

Andrew,

I'd suggest you remove a front wheel and just check to be sure as after 40 years you can't be too sure someone hasn't fiddled with it already.  The actual brand and part number will be stamped on the strut housing just above the brake disc and knowing this for sure will help you get the right parts.

With strut inserts being reasonably cheap I've never been tempted with the 3 sets I've replaced on different cars in the last few years to do anything but replace.  I've also been very happy with Bilstein B6's and have never been tempted to use anything else.

I have found FCPEuro and Design911 to usually give the best prices including shipping.  However I have used a German based eBay supplier as well.

The excellent Bilstein on line catalogue will give you all the guidance you need to get the right part numbers if the online suppliers are a bit vague on fitment.

Koni's also make inserts and people speak highly of them too.  Sach also do inserts and I think KYB may too.

Plenty of choice! 

Andrew,

I'd suggest you remove a front wheel and just check to be sure as after 40 years you can't be too sure someone hasn't fiddled with it already.  The actual brand and part number will be stamped on the strut housing just above the brake disc and knowing this for sure will help you get the right parts.

........unless after 40 years you have a remanufactured strut :o

Sorry.

Archived