550 replica questions & thoughts

Gavn

I've been interested in these for a while and there are not too many about.  As far as I can tell...

(a) Importing one from the US and then getting it registered is theoretically not possible

(b) Yet there are a couple of guys who have done so reasonably recently (one in Vic at the end of last year?)

(c) There was one in nsw with number plates nos550 that looked pretty nice but I've not seen it up close (I'm assuming it's not the real deal) but hoping someone here might know the current or previous owner.

Questions for anyone who might know - how are they to drive/own & is it possible to bring one in....or is it a bit of a risk.  They seem like a lot of fun (so long as the whole replicating sits ok with you).  I'd love to chat with a current or previous owner if anyone has a contact.

Cheers,

Gavin

Get onto Raf here mate, yet I'm sure he'll reply when he sees your thread. There was one on Carsales or Gumtree for 110k or so, yet that seems a bit expensive to me. Try Instagram name @eltorochili as he imported one late last year and is in Victoria

That's a LOT of wedge for a replica, no matter how accurate it is. I'd rather commission a hand built Runge Frankfurt Flyer for half that sorta coin or less. If anyone hasn't heard of ever Chris Runge, Google or Instagram search him

That's a LOT of wedge for a replica, no matter how accurate it is. I'd rather commission a hand built Runge Frankfurt Flyer for half that sorta coin or less. If anyone hasn't heard of ever Chris Runge, Google or Instagram search him

He builds cool s**t doesn't he.

Get onto Raf here mate, yet I'm sure he'll reply when he sees your thread. There was one on Carsales or Gumtree for 110k or so, yet that seems a bit expensive to me. Try Instagram name @eltorochili as he imported one late last year and is in Victoria

Thanks Lee - I'll shoot him a message.

do you mean rafikdous?  Sorry I'm up with the first names yet. I mean, if I ever meet porkchops or skidmarks, I'm not sure what I'll say... Er, hello pork...?

do you mean rafikdous?  Sorry I'm up with the first names yet. I mean, if I ever meet porkchops or skidmarks, I'm not sure what I'll say... Er, hello pork...?

Yeah mate. Sorry, I did post his full name, but autocorrect decided not to allow it!

Fun to drive? Heck yeah. Couple of years ago when I was looking for one, I came across the silver one in nsw with a Porsche 2.7 6 in it. The owner took me for a drive which all I can say was scary. He was asking $55k. I offered $52k and unfortunately missed out. Bad decision

check my build thread under Projects. My car came from NZ and was registered as a 914 because it uses 914 gear. I have contacted couple of engineers already and technically I shouldn't have an issue getting registered with the import approvals handy

i know few ppl brought their cars from the USA as pre '68 cars so they were able to get them registered on club rego in VIC without having do to much except RWC

there is a lot of other dodgy Sh!t that ppl do which just affects all the legitimate club rego ppl

Thanks Raf - I'll check the build thread.  I guess one of the key points is whether you can get it brought in as pre '68.  I notice some of the advertisements over there state 'titled as....' but I'm assuming the build plate/vin would have to read differently.  

Archived