Under Bonnet Insulation Removal

SteveF

The under bonnet insulation in my 944 needs replacing as it literally falls apart when you touch it. For anyone who has removed theirs, what products have you used?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Fuel worked a treat with mine. It dissolved all the adhesive and turned it into goo which could then easily be scraped of with some credit cards. Just don't light any matches while you're doing it :D

When I replaced the under-bonnet insulation on my 928 I used kerosene and oil/grease remover (pre-paint chemical) and it worked fine. 

Bonnet off, laying flat on a blanket on grass with drop sheet. I used a plastic scraper and it took probably an hour. I cleaned up all of the old glue and the applied the replacement pad after making sure it was dry, it worked great

When I replaced the under-bonnet insulation on my 928 I used kerosene and oil/grease remover (pre-paint chemical) and it worked fine. 

Bonnet off, laying flat on a blanket on grass with drop sheet. I used a plastic scraper and it took probably an hour. I cleaned up all of the old glue and the applied the replacement pad after making sure it was dry, it worked great

I remember you saying that previously, did you have any colour come off with it? I used some metho to clean some gunk off the inside of one door and it turned red, so I stopped? Makes me a bit nervous......

I remember you saying that previously, did you have any colour come off wit it? I used soem metho to clean some gunk off the inside of one door and it turned red, so I stopped? Makes me a bit nervous......

I was careful, main worry was it not leaking out of the bonnet area but it didn't, the quality of the tig welding they did on those aluminium bonnets is amazing.

Zero colour came off, the padding soaked it up and then it scraped easily

Archived