PCNSW Super Sprint No 5 for 2017

Buchanan Automotive

Today , Sunday 24th Sept ,Porsche Club NSW Super Sprint No 5 for 2017 , Sydney Motorsport Park ( Eastern Creek ) Sydney Australia ,good turn out of about 57 cars ,  warm to hot conditions , windy at time with lots of dust / dirt on the track from the wind & dry conditions ( this makes it a bit slippery ), this last Super-sprint was at the North Circuit  , its know as the power circuit , meaning its the long front straight followed by the notorious corner 1 & 2 ( to some degree ) , but the North Circuit has a unique undulating off camber & on camber high speed "left then right " flip flop kink ( the unusual back straight ) , this is a very unsettling high speed section of the track & has a reputation for  badly damaging or destroying cars( meaning going off and hitting the wall ) & today was no exception , we had a a long standing club member & a great competitor lost control of his very nicely modified 911SC in this section & hit the wall backwards , he is OK , but the car needs a bit of attention , no one likes to see this , but it happens & we all wish him well .

Last century front engines Porsche 944 Turbo's ( 951 ) put on a real good show , we had Sean Buchanan in his Panther Black 1986 3.0L 16V E85 fuelled 951 , Mark Bloxham in his Mexico Blue ( we got it painted this colour when Sean built it for Mark ) 3.0L 8V E85 951  & Chris Moriarty in his 1991 2.5L E85 951 , after the lunch break , the three quickest late model GT3's ( one a proper race car on slicks ) went home , so that left a whole bunch of other GT3's etc to take the lead for the afternoon ,naturally the fastest 12 Porsches are in speed group 1 , then the next 12 are in speed group 2 etc all the way to speed group 5 , ( some groups had more than 12 cars )  , Sean in his 1986 951 was head of the pack in speed group 1 , with 2nd position on the grid going to a McLaren 650S , then another GT3 & then Mark Bloxham 3.0L 951 & then more GT3's and a GT4 etc etc , making up speed group 1  , what a great sight , we had a black 951 leading group 1 & pulling away for two laps , Sean then slowed down & let Mark Bloxham ( 951 ) to take the lead ( the Mclaren had to drop back because she was on more road orientated performance  road tyres ) , Sean then followed Mark to get some in car footage 

Here are some lap times ( faster for the day each ) for the top 13 cars  & you will see there is nothing in them( fraction of seconds )

997 GT3 Race car on Slicks       1.09:2920

997 GT3 3.6  on "R" Specs        1.09:8450

991 GT3 RS  on "R" Specs         1.10:0150

951 Sean Buchanan "R" Specs  1.10:0490  ( 31 year old front engine'd Porsche )

Mc Laren 650S Not sure of tyres 1.10:1600

951 Mark Bloxham "R" Specs     1.10:4620  ( 31 year old front engine'd Porsche )

996GT3     on "R" Specs              1.10:7060

996GT3    on "R" Specs               1.10:7860

Cayman GT4  on "R" Specs         1.10:8440

996GT3  on "R" Specs                 1.10:9550

997GT3  on "R" Specs                 1.11:1930

991 Carrera S on "R" Specs        1.11:8100

991GT3    on "R" Specs               1.12:0750

Many Thanks to all the volunteers who helped out today

Regards

Bruce Buchanan

Buchanan Automotive 

Hi Symsy , I do not drive on the track any more ( 60+ ) , I drive my 30 year old Falcon station wagon to the track full of Spares ( parts ) , Tools , E85 fuel , workshop jack & stands etc etc & yesterday I manned the "Dummy Grid " with the two way radio , track intercom microphone & directed the cars waiting to go onto the track , its my son & business partner Sean who drives at the track

Regards
Bruce Buchanan
Buchanan Automotive

Hi Symsy , I do not drive on the track any more ( 60+ ) , I drive my 30 year old Falcon station wagon to the track full of Spares ( parts ) , Tools , E85 fuel , workshop jack & stands etc etc & yesterday I manned the "Dummy Grid " with the two way radio , track intercom microphone & directed the cars waiting to go onto the track , its my son & business partner Sean who drives at the track

Regards
Bruce Buchanan
Buchanan Automotive

Do you need another son..?  Lucky boy ..

@edgy

Howd you go mate 

I'm a little off the pace still, I ran my two fastest in the early and last sessions, 1:13.4 for this circuit, which I'm happy with that, usually Daryl is a good yardstick for me, and he ran a 1:11 on the day, so to be 2 secs off him is good enough for me. I have some more car setup to work on and just more seat time to improve as a driver. 

Anyway, it's always a good time at the PCNSW sprints, great bunch of people, it's well run, and most importantly it's safe! You should sign up next year... ?

Results in full here: http://racing.natsoft.com.au/638368084/object_645174.70Z/Result?1 

I'm a little off the pace still, I ran my two fastest in the early and last sessions, 1:13.4 for this circuit, which I'm happy with that, usually Daryl is a good yardstick for me, and he ran a 1:11 on the day, so to be 2 secs off him is good enough for me. I have some more car setup to work on and just more seat time to improve as a driver. 

Anyway, it's always a good time at the PCNSW sprints, great bunch of people, it's well run, and most importantly it's safe! You should sign up next year... ?

Results in full here: http://racing.natsoft.com.au/638368084/object_645174.70Z/Result?1 

You are out there doing it mate .. thats what really counts ..

Less Airplane Seat time .. more GT3 seat time mate ;)

PS Can you drag NSW race tracks closer to the border

Archived