Looking at Purchasing another P car

Choppergrino

Hi Fellow Pcar enthusiasts,

I have the opportunity to purchase a 74 911 targa off a friend, it is a great runner, no longer painted the original colour, believe it was a UK import in the 1980’s.

I would be looking at restoring it back to a factory looking car meaning removing whale tail, incorrect wheels, interior colour and paint colour.

Is there anybody that can give me a ball park price of what it may be worth? Or put me on to somebody. I want to be fair to the seller as well as myself.

thanks in advance

Danny

996 Cab

4 hours ago, LeeM said:

Depends how good it is really.

Whatever an Oz delivered car of the same year is priced at, take of 20 to 30%. I'm thinking $40 to 50k tops, but thats me

I've heard a lot of people saying that is what the OZ delivered cars should be priced at.

6 hours ago, LeeM said:

Depends how good it is really.

Whatever an Oz delivered car of the same year is priced at, take of 20 to 30%. I'm thinking $40 to 50k tops, but thats me

Thanks guys,

My thoughts are around the $40k mark for this car. The issue, is he sees the cars on carsales asking $70k plus and thinks that his car is worth the same.

I did see a real nice version of a 1974 911 Targa  sell for $55k at Shannons in Sydney a month ago and it looked like it just rolled off the production line.

I have mentioned to him a car in original condition, with a low build number and Australian delivered may be more desirable and condone higher prices.

But these are just my thoughts

Just like a lot of Porsche owner mate. Thinks it's worth more than it really is. I know a VERY nice UK Targa in white sold for $45k a few months ago with an original asking price of $70k. People just test the market, or convince themselves that what they tell the missus it's worth is really what they sell for. If it's a cracker of a car with matching numbers and good original paint, it's probably $50 to $60k, yet as you'd know, people frown on UK cars for whatever reasons, and that controls their value. Might get lucky, but I wouldn't offer anymore than what you are thinking

People (including me) are very cautious with ex UK cars because of rust issues, also 1974 was at the very start of the gradual 911 galvanising /rustproofing they did on P. cars & other German cars. Examine body very critically.

BUT if it can be proven that it did come from UK (old rego number etc) , it could be worth good money if its sold back there, much less EU regulation & tax nonsense. Also Poms like Targas although we generally dont. So keep this in mind when you are valuing the potential purchase and refurbishment costs.

Archived