What to do - Wheel Restoration

Nick-PBTB

When I bought my 986 for 5k is came with two sets of wheels, 16s and 17s. The 17s are a much sexier looking wheel but they have had a pretty brutal life from the previous owner. I want to put them back on the car as I'm due for some new tyres soon so I would rather buy one set but I need to restore these before putting them on. They don't have any gauges on the metal mainly just very minor surface stuff that can be sanded away with easy but should I DIY or go send them off. I'd like to have them on the car sometime before end of Feb.

Thanks

Nick

https://www.instagram.com/nb_autography/

box-1065

Pic of the 16s on atm

IMG_6351IMG_1805IMG_1002IMG_0428

I've taken numerous sets of wheels including 2 sets of wheels for my 964 to Thornton Smash Repair. They spray them any colour you want and do a pretty decent job, the kicker is they only charge about $60-$70 a wheel. 

If you just want your wheels looking nice and clean and can live shy of a 10/10 paint job, then highly recommend.

Here is the last set of wheels they did for me:

Before

25995003808_0dd5d46980_c.jpg

After

28088655739_68d394f733_c.jpg

Nick,

How much time, effort and money do you want to spend?

Will painting the front be enough or do you want to do the backs too?

Can you be bothered with removing the tyres?

Do you want the paint to match the centre cap? Or would you be happy with painting the centre cap all silver and forgoing the black highlights?

You're lucky that your rims won't need much preparation before painting and if you're handy with dewaxing, two part filler, spot putty, etch primer, masking and a rattle can or three you could deliver a professional looking job for about a hundred bucks yourself, by leaving the tyres on, using something like: http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/Product/Dupli-Color-Aerosol-Paint-Wheel-Coating-Hyper-Silver-Kit/363620?menuFrom=1021778#review-list-anchor 

If the above doesn't appeal, poli's suggestion looks pretty attractive to me.

Oh, if you want the rims to match the current colour, the colour you want is probably Porsche Felge Silber.   Supercheap will also mix that colour if you want it too.  Someone brighter than me will be able to post the year range that this colour was used but am pretty confident your car would be included. 

Yes, Felge is german for wheel rim and you can probably guess what Silber is....

2 hours ago, poli84 said:

I've taken numerous sets of wheels including 2 sets of wheels for my 964 to Thornton Smash Repair. They spray them any colour you want and do a pretty decent job, the kicker is they only charge about $60-$70 a wheel. 

If you just want your wheels looking nice and clean and can live shy of a 10/10 paint job, then highly recommend.

Here is the last set of wheels they did for me:

Before

25995003808_0dd5d46980_c.jpg

After

28088655739_68d394f733_c.jpg

Wow that's cheap. To be honest i don't think that would cover the material cost and also the cost to run the booth let alone having a tradesman paint them. Looks like a nice job too.

Archived