944 Turbo Engine Mount Replacement Suggestions

vinnytang

Hey all,

Getting ready to replace the sagged engine mounts on my 86 Turbo. They're still OK, but want to do them while I'm tidying up some other things in the engine bay. 

Thought I'll ask the brains trust what the best options would be for the replacement mounts. I remember reading somewhere that the original design wasn't the best, so not sure if I should go OEM replacement or if there is a better offering in the aftermarket world. 

Thanks in advance!

Hi Vinny

Engine mounts are on my list too so I've been researching them over the last little while.

As Timm says the genuine Porsche mounts seem to be the most recommended for a street car. Some of the cheaper mounts like Uro seem to only last 12 months before collapsing.
The cheapest I've found the genuine mounts is US$380 for the pair here: https://www.sonnenporscheoemparts.com/oem-parts/porsche-front-mount-95137504204

The other option I've been considering is the Lindsey Racing Ultra Mounts. They're supposed to be firmer than stock mounts and do introduce a little more vibration at idle but I hear they have a much longer lifespan and don't introduce substantially more NVH. They do come with a shim kit to let you lower the engine (and centre of gravity) by 5-10mm if you desire also. They are US$300 a pair and available here: https://www.lindseyracing.com/LR/Porsche/LRA-944MM-UM.html 

9 minutes ago, OzJustin said:

Hi Vinny

Engine mounts are on my list too so I've been researching them over the last little while.

As Timm says the genuine Porsche mounts seem to be the most recommended for a street car. Some of the cheaper mounts like Uro seem to only last 12 months before collapsing.
The cheapest I've found the genuine mounts is US$380 for the pair here: https://www.sonnenporscheoemparts.com/oem-parts/porsche-front-mount-95137504204

The other option I've been considering is the Lindsey Racing Ultra Mounts. They're supposed to be firmer than stock mounts and do introduce a little more vibration at idle but I hear they have a much longer lifespan and don't introduce substantially more NVH. They do come with a shim kit to let you lower the engine (and centre of gravity) by 5-10mm if you desire also. They are US$300 a pair and available here: https://www.lindseyracing.com/LR/Porsche/LRA-944MM-UM.html 

I'd be very cautious about getting those ultramounts for a street car. I reinforced my meyle engine mounts with some polyurethane I had left over from doing my gearbox mount (highly recommend doing the gearbox mount) and the vibrations were really annoying. Our 30+ year old luxury interiors make all sorts of rattles and vibrations when you run firm engine mounts. I ended up pulling all the polyurethane off the engine mounts because I couldn't stand it...and normally I'm not even really one to be bothered by comfort, as you might guess by the other mods I've done (firm suspension, a/c delete, p/s delete etc).

57 minutes ago, Timm said:

I'd be very cautious about getting those ultramounts for a street car. I reinforced my meyle engine mounts with some polyurethane I had left over from doing my gearbox mount (highly recommend doing the gearbox mount) and the vibrations were really annoying. Our 30+ year old luxury interiors make all sorts of rattles and vibrations when you run firm engine mounts. I ended up pulling all the polyurethane off the engine mounts because I couldn't stand it...and normally I'm not even really one to be bothered by comfort, as you might guess by the other mods I've done (firm suspension, a/c delete, p/s delete etc).

Thanks for the word of warning Timm. Sounds like the genuine Porsche mounts might be the go then...

What's wrong with the Meyle  or other  non Porsche engine mounts? Quality? Structure? Materials? There's huge differences in price between Porsche OEM and some of the after market units available overseas but is that just because of the Porsche name.

Also, were the original mounts oil filled or just solid rubber?

The genuine Porsche 944/951 engine mounts are hydraulic ( fluid inside ) most of the aftermarket ones ( if not all )are just replicas but made with solid rubber internal/s , hence the harsher feel  , years ago the genuine Porsche mounts were made by Corteco in Europe & were for a time could be purchased aftermarket , but that was some years ago , may be they are still made by Corteco ? , we are not sure who make the genuine Porsche 944/951 ( hydraulic) engine mounts these days

These days we only buy them through Porsche to get the best results

Bruce Buchanan
Buchanan Automotive

Archived