911SC (SOLD)

3 hours ago, bear924 said:

Toowoomba ... which is surprisingly very close to where I live (~100km).  And thanks for the congrats, wasn't an easy decision to sell however I felt it was time to try something different. 

A little easier to organise to view it etc than from Melbourne.

Glad you found an enthusiast that hopefully will drive it.

By all accounts, they’ve purchased a great car.

4 hours ago, bear924 said:

Toowoomba ... which is surprisingly very close to where I live (~100km).  And thanks for the congrats, wasn't an easy decision to sell however I felt it was time to try something different. 

What's next Wayne?

Tough question Tingy ..

Before musing, I'll just add context following 9 years with the SC. What I really loved about the SC was the steering feel and engine noise. Even on a straight dull road, the feedback the car provided was sensational.  Took me so long to sell as I'd take it for a drive and would come back grinning. The challenge on the other hand is that it was the same year as my 924, therefore they shared the similar characteristic of being an old car. As it is not uncommon for me to do 600+km a day in my Porsches, I kind of want something that is a little easier to do that in, something that is more modern. I also found that I wanted the SC to have more power, like my 924 the SC was something of a momentum car .. challenge is that when confronted with a shortish over taking opportunity the car took a bit of time to get moving. So frustrating to be stuck behind a 4wd in twisties, then come around a corner with a straight and the 4wd initially out accelerates. So in essence I'm looking for a car that provides the same type of feedback as the SC, has a few mod cons (cruise control, good A/C) that make long drives easier and enough power so that momentum isn't the only game in town. As a Porsche nerd, I'm also looking for something that interests that side of me as well.

Added to that, my other problem is that I can see benefits to most Porsches, and would love to have the opportunity to properly try every model (and sub model). Alas, that won't be the case so here are my musings:

996 GT2 - In my mind, the 6 GT2 marks the end of the widow maker period and will eventually be widley seen as the last raw Porsche. The 996 shape (esp turbo, GTs) have grown on me over the last few years, I suspect the whole head light thing will be a non issue in a few years. Car seems to be an acquired taste and require knowing someone who can set them up correctly. Would be concerned about the ability to use a GT2 with the low nose, may find that I would stop using the car if I constantly scrape while out driving on the rural roads I live around. Will be interesting to see where these cars go price wise in the next 5-10 years.

996 GT3 - As we move more into a turbo charged world, I feel NA cars will become special and sought after. Consider the 6 GT3 as the giving much of the feel of the air cooled era, with many of the advantages of the water cooled era.  Came very close to buying one earlier last year and don't think I'd have any regrets if it was currently sitting in my garage. Concerned car might be too raw for the many 'enjoyable' highway hours I get to drive to find the twisties. 

996 turbo - These a good buying at the moment and would remove any concerns I had about grunt. Might even be tempted to go against my normal grain and buy something that someone has already worked and modded. Would be great for the highway cruising I need to do at times and would be fine for twisties... do wonder if it would engage me like a GT3 or 2 .. still pondering that.

997 GT3 - Similar attraction to 6 GT3, however my understanding is car is less raw. Last of the Mezger motor, this might play out in the future, probably depending how the newer GT3 motors pan out.  Might be a better car for handling the drudge drive before the fun drive. 

997 turbo - For some reason these don't do much for me.... suspect it's because they are more firmly in GT territory and are too smooth and fast to be fun on the road. As I'll own my next car for a bunch of time, the electronic do dads also have me concerned as they will be hard to replace in 10 years time. Suspect that the 'horrible' 996 interior will actually be seen as a classic car positive as they are generally more simple than the 7 interior.

Later 930 - Might be tempted by late 86 on 930 .. general thought is that I want to get out of the 80s though. 

964 - Get the appeal of these, especially the C2s. Possibly want something with a bit more zing, and they are also 'hot' at the moment and therefore a bit $$.

964 turbo - I'm still laughing with Porsche about installing CIS (fuel system) on the 3.3 turbos.. after three CIS cars I'm actually an advocate of the CIS system however it's old tech stuff for a 90s car. 3.6 would be cool however way outside my budget.

993 - I'm conflicted about the looks of the 993. For years I was a huge fan.. these days I'm a little hot and cold.  Loved the sound of the air cooled engine and any air cooled 911 will always be appreciated so doubt you could go wrong. May be where I land if I decide to stay air cooled.

993 turbo -  At $200k these would make more sense to me. Seem that they are now priced as a collectable, which means that I'd probably be concerned every time I drove it. Might be a good compromise between modern, power and air cooled. Was my aspirational car for a long time though so could end up buying one, need to determine my weighting on rear wheel drive only.

996/997/boxsters/cayman - These are all wonderful cars and could go that way if something jumps out at me. My thought is that they would only be a stop gap before I moved into one of the model above... so will probably try to just move into one of the models above.

944/968 - 944 turbos appeal to me, as do 968s... actually tried to purchase a 968cs in 2016 however missed out. General thought is that I have one of this family and would like something different. I could sell the 924 however have decided to keep as I've now owned it for 20 years and every bolt on the car is associated with a memory.

928 - I have a 928 itch that I may need to scratch one day, however may wait until I have time to work on it myself. Too much of a GT car for what I'm after now ...

7 hours ago, Bluegus73 said:

A little easier to organise to view it etc than from Melbourne.

Glad you found an enthusiast that hopefully will drive it.

By all accounts, they’ve purchased a great car.

Yes true! Think I scared a few inter state buyers away because as a seller I was relatively tough on my car. Some of the car's negatives in the flesh were relatively minor and possibly planted too many doubts.  

The new owner spent a good chunk of the day driving his new toy and appears to be firmly converted ... the sound of the flat six driving away this morning was tough one to hear.

Archived