POLICE ADVANCED DRIVING COURSE

I am currently doing a custom picture frame for the son of a now deceased English Policeman.

I have in my possession some great old history and records including photos from a by gone era.

These photos will be going on public display in the future but I thought you may enjoy a glimpse of an Advanced Driving Course held at Crewe, Cheshire in the UK on 14th of January 1952 to 16th of February 1952. No idea what sort of car it is. I have done a couple of Police driving courses in the not too distant past and they all still have the one thing that is always present.

LETS HAVE SOME FUN IN THE COMPANY CAR!

img107.jpg

img106.jpg

They are great pics Niko :) Did you do the driving course that went along the great ocean road? Dad talks about that one if you push the right buttons :)

Trying not to bore people shi&%$*s....

When doing the training to qualify to become a police driver trainer, we did a course out of Dawson Street, with the Uniform Driving Instructors which involved a lots of driving and theory for twelve long weeks (plus a certIV in training) We had set runs but I can't recall doing the GOR run with them, however once I was qualified as a D.I. we did several overnighters whilst training my unit, including the GOR.

Not so much fun sitting in the drivers seat with your student trying to kill you though. We had no extra pedals on the passenger side so it was an adrenaline pumping course as a trainer. We also included DECA at Shep in our training with the back track and skid pan. Many a car came unstuck and got broken but hey....BIG COMPANY.

While setting up our courses we also looked at the MURCOTT course at SANDOWN and completed that one just to compare the two. Mixed in with "normal people" and no one knew who we were but we had a hoot. Just like having a sponsored drive. So i can relate to the smiles on those old british coppers faces having fun and not paying for it.

The Bentley company started in Cricklewood, was taken over by Rolls R and moved to Derby and thence to Crewe. My guess is that the '50s would probably have been in the Crewe period and to my eye, the car is likely to be a Bentley Mallalieu

like this one

http://www.classic-auctions.com/Auctions/21-09-2011-TheImperialWarMuseum-1292/195379BentleyR-TypeMallalieuBarchetta-33517.aspx

which is nothing too special, it was basically a mark 6 cut and shut

Thanks for that sydr, I would say your spot on. :D I bet if they knew what the car would be worth 60 years later they might have treated it a tad less harshly :wacko: . Love to know where that one in the photos ended up.

Thanks again for making those enquiries, I will also pass it on to the chap I am doing the frame for.

;)

Guest Nick987

Hunka Hunka Vas!

Reckon his voice never sounded better than at Vegas, jumpsuit period, when he was running the cheeseburger and 'big pharma' diet...

Definitely was, is and will always be 'The King'.

Have a hankerin for a round of Elvis live in Vegas now...Johnny B. Goode...That's All Right...Something...One Night...Polk Salad Annie...One Night/Get Back...mmmmm

"...before anyone did anything, Elvis did everything!"

Archived