Roll cage Recommendations

Hi, I had a quick search on the forum for past discussions but couldn't find what i was looking for.  Anyone have any recommendations for aftermarket roll cages(half) for a GT3/991.  I have a touring coming for which you cant get a roll cage from factory (like you can for standard GT3 and RS).  Ideally light.  Have considered a straight harness bar (I see hamilton have a version) but don't like the idea of being strapped bolt upright and then with no overhead protection. 

Or just track with no rollbar but with helmet and standard seat belt.?

Thoughts / suggestions ?

Hi Oldmxnut, I'm going to put my two cents worth in.

If the new car comes with what i think is a "comfort" seat then there is no provision to run harness through the seat which is the proper way.

You don't want the belts coming around the shoulders it will not give you much protection at all, if anything stick to the standard seat belt, it just means you will move around a little in the chair.

If the seat comes with provision to run the harness through the seat, bang a harness bar in there they work well are reasonably priced compared to factory cage price and can be removed relatively easily without any evidence of it being in there if you ever go to sell the car.

I'm just confused as to why you would order a new GT3 that you intend to track and want a cage for and yet not order a CS that comes with the complete kit? I'd understand if you were buying second hand or someone else's order but given the opportunity to spec from new it seems odd?

Or am I missing something? 

On 3/3/2018 at 10:13 AM, hugh said:

I'm just confused as to why you would order a new GT3 that you intend to track and want a cage for and yet not order a CS that comes with the complete kit? I'd understand if you were buying second hand or someone else's order but given the opportunity to spec from new it seems odd?

Or am I missing something? 

Have a GT3 Touring with LWB.  You cant option a cage (or club sport option) from the OEM like you can for the winged version.  The club sport package isn't available on the touring for some reason.  I thinks its silly as no difference in performance of the vehicle and wing or sans wing is purely cosmetic.  

But never-the-less, Im still looking to run a few track days like I do with other cars from time to time.  Its not that I'd be running 10/10ths but as we all know its the time you least expect it is when you wished you had it.  So hence the question about aftermarket options.

On 3/3/2018 at 8:01 AM, Peter 996 said:

Hi Oldmxnut, I'm going to put my two cents worth in.

If the new car comes with what i think is a "comfort" seat then there is no provision to run harness through the seat which is the proper way.

You don't want the belts coming around the shoulders it will not give you much protection at all, if anything stick to the standard seat belt, it just means you will move around a little in the chair.

If the seat comes with provision to run the harness through the seat, bang a harness bar in there they work well are reasonably priced compared to factory cage price and can be removed relatively easily without any evidence of it being in there if you ever go to sell the car.

Ive got the LWB's so they have the harness access points. Only issue with seat is the "touring" cushion that will need to side the buckle between your legs. But I'm changing the bolster leather so will do this at the same time.

With the harness bar, whats your thoughts on being strapped upright with no crumple protection over head ?   I had the impression from those that do a bit of track time and or race in some capacity, that either you run harness, with Hans device and cage,  or alternatively helmet, no hans and single belt only... not in between that could be a worse outcome. 

Hi Oldmxnut,

I would definetly want to be to be strapped in tight, whether it be with a harness bar or cage, I have a rollcage in my car ( 997 GT3 CS ) and use the harness on the track, do not have a hans device.

I would like to say that I am a more cautious driver on the track now, actually going slower in this car around Phillip Island than my 996 GT3.

My point is, place a harness bar in the car, run a harness through the seat ( if possible ) over the shoulders, a 4 point harness is ample and will keep you in tight, you just want to stop sliding around in the seat, keep you strapped in nice and tight.

Enjoy the car!!

I don't know how good a driver you are, but i know i will never push my car to its limits ( i think the car laughs at me when i drive her ) just jump in and enjoy because you will have an absolute ball and if i can give you one more piece of advice, get instructors to jump in with you, you can never stop learning!!

Enjoy your amazing vehicle!!

I would email Gert Carnewal, he will probably be able to help you, or even call your local Porsche  centre, you may need to quote a VIN from a regular GT3 though to access the cage data. 

Cant see why it would be a problem to add the OEM roll bar back half to the touring. 

Just check on the mounting points for the B pillar hoop, in my 997, I had to source the attaching hardware and drill the floors. 

If that all sounds too hard, you can look at companies like GMG, BBi etc in the USA as they usually do a “bolt in” type roll bar which will attach to the seatbelt bolts in the body, rather than through the floor like the Clubsport ones do. 

You will probably get a prompt response on Rennlist on the subject if it’s not already a topic!

Hi gents, thanks for the comments.  Yes plenty of opinions on rennlist for US options.   I follow up with the suggestions and see what I can land on.  

Good point about driver intent and ultimate purpose.  I may be getting ahead of myself.  I track irregularly (RS3, Sash belt and helmet only) but have also had a few runs in both a cup car and R8 LMS cars. So with that level of safety and security that comes with a full cage, harness and hans its hard not to think about being in this vehicle even running at 80% of its capability without those.  You start to feel naked so to speak.

So to your point Peter, perhaps I need to consider it as an engaging fun car rather then a lap record potential vehicle...slow down a touch and signifcantly reduce the need for cage in the first instance.  

In turn, do consider the hans though if your running a harness. The bit of research i have done, argues strongly for it when using a harness to reduce the bobble head effect in side, head or tail impacts etc.

Archived