Good dirt roads within a couple of hours of Sydney

I’d like to give the #RallyCab a fang on some dirt roads and get some action pics for posterity. 

Can anyone recommend anywhere suitable?  I’ve heard Kurnell and Terrey Hills might be the go. 

Any suggestions welcome, the more specific the location the better.  (Anyone own a farm or a property with a good fire trail?)

ps.  Latest pics of said #RallyCab here -> 

I told you! Boat Harbour Kurnell we can hit the sand junes for a Baja Esque shoot... 

I’ll bring the support car ;), I’ve been meaning to take the dogs for a run on the beach for a while now! 

You’ll be fine on most of it, the beach though might be a little soft in spots, but please refer to support vehicle.. 

5 minutes ago, edgy said:

I told you! Boat Harbour Kurnell we can hit the sand junes for a Baja Esque shoot... 

I’ll bring the support car ;), I’ve been meaning to take the dogs for a run on the beach for a while now! 

You’ll be fine on most of it, the beach though might be a little soft in spots, but please refer to support vehicle.. 

Is it legal to drive there Kurt?

19 minutes ago, OBRUT said:

Is it legal to drive there Kurt?

Yup! We pay entry and we’re golden! 

There is barriers however right about the top end of green hills. (To stop you driving further down the beach)

let me know, I’ll come with the Macan. 

Boat harbour at Kurnell is ok - you'll get ready access to the beach & all legal/above board.  I don't think there's much access to dunes anymore but would like to be wrong (used to be quite a bit of fun there).

If you head down the M5 until Mittagong then take the wombeyan caves road you'll have plenty of options for dirt road, some tree surrounds, some open country (& a nice rock tunnel at one point).  Some bits are a bit hairy with drop offs & no guard rails - lots of spots for good shots.  From the CBD to the wombeyan caves rd exit is about 1hr 20min out of peak hour.  Aside from that particular road there are heaps of others in that general area (High Range, Bullio, Joadja).  There are some ruins down at Joadja that would make for a good backdrop & something different for pics. 

stone tunnel bullio wombeyan caves rd

wombeyan caves road lookout

That particular road continues to the floor of the valley & then up the other side into the back of the blue mountains (wombeyan caves then jenolan caves).  Not a short drive but lots of fun....

The State Forests have plenty of roads and there is always the fire trail network in the bush beyond the Jenolan Caves system.  To get to these, you drive through the caves tourist area and keep going up the hill till you hit dirt roads - these roads can take you to Wombeyan Caves and Goulburn areas as well.  The drive on tarmac from Hume Highway to JC are also a great deal of fun.

Just remember that both tar and dirt roads are public roads and are 2 way.

Archived