Hey team. As some of you may have seen on social media, my fan housing and fan are quite badly damaged. I need to talk to a welder on Tuesday, but in the event that I have to replace them, I have a couple of questions.

Q. I have a 226mm fan.  All the new housings seem to be 245mm. Can I fit a 245mm housing onto my engine?  Of course, I will have to get a 245mm impeller as well. 

Q. Where can I buy alternator brushes for a Valco alternator?

If you are curious about what the damage looks like, check out the pics on my Instagram page @that_porsche_guy, or my Facebook page @stewfuchs.

There is a company in Qld (can't remember the name off hand) who rewind the old alternators, and they can up the amperage while they are there.

I have a 5 blade fan if you want it (doubt it ;) ). Also have a 245mm housing with a small chip on the rim, would still function fine, just not as pretty as I wanted.

17 minutes ago, MFX said:

There is a company in Qld (can't remember the name off hand) who rewind the old alternators, and they can up the amperage while they are there.

I have a 5 blade fan if you want it (doubt it ;) ). Also have a 245mm housing with a small chip on the rim, would still function fine, just not as pretty as I wanted.

Thanks Jeff.  I'll pm you about the 245mm housing.

7 hours ago, Mike D'Silva said:

I have to chase it up, but the company in Qld would rewind and refurbish your existing alternator to a higher output for around $200 from memory. It is of particular note if you want to run a @Jonny Retrofit Classic Retrofit A/C set up.

Are the Valeo's that bad to buy as a replacement?  Read a lot of negative comments about them but never a firsthand accounts of one failing.

Although it looks like a new Valeo would work out about the same cost as a K3 from PR Tech delivered.

20 hours ago, Stew F said:

Q. Where can I buy alternator brushes for a Valco alternator?

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ARK103-NEW-REPAIR-KIT-FOR-VALEO-ALTERNATOR-Slip-rings-Brushes-Brush-Set-2000-on/253430914206?epid=22011301128&hash=item3b01a8dc9e:g:kKUAAOSwPrZals7F

Do I foresee another Stew F DYI thread coming.....

I think if you have an early SC with the 226 fan housing, you'd have to change the engine shroud too to go to 245.

The main issue with 'rewinding' the standard alternator for higher output is heat.  There are no internal fans in the original units and the air flow is poor.  Ironically, the engine fan encases the alternator , preventing cooling.  We have melted several supposedly high output units.  Yes, they make the power, but eventually self destruct.

We currently have a completely new design in test.  It has internal fans and is a modern six phase unit.  We've measured over 80A at idle and managed 145A on load with the standard single pulley.  It will be expensive compared to a rewind.

Hey Stew

I use a bloke down Kilkenny way who does all my aluminium welding. He does all types of welding and is very, very good at it. He can be a bit expensive but his work is first class and I doubt you would never need to send it back. 

His business is called "Tig on welding" His name is Sam. Tell him I sent you.

Alex

4 hours ago, Peter M said:

Yep, eventually. I need to find another photo host though.

2 hours ago, 3legs said:

Hey Stew

I use a bloke down Kilkenny way who does all my aluminium welding. He does all types of welding and is very, very good at it. He can be a bit expensive but his work is first class and I doubt you would never need to send it back. 

His business is called "Tig on welding" His name is Sam. Tell him I sent you.

Alex

Thanks Alex. Just at the back of Arndale Shopping Centre, so convenient to work. I'll call him.

12 minutes ago, Stew F said:

Yep, eventually. I need to find another photo host though.

Thanks Alex. Just at the back of Arndale Shopping Centre, so convenient to work. I'll call him.

Stew, if you use the share and copy link button in Instagram, it'll display here.

Stew, if you use the share and copy link button in Instagram, it'll display here.

Thanks man. Didn't know that one. Stand by to be bombarded with photos.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

On 01/04/2018 at 7:29 AM, Peter M said:

Are the Valeo's that bad to buy as a replacement?  Read a lot of negative comments about them but never a firsthand accounts of one failing.

They were, and still are, fitted as original equipment by quite a number of car manufacturers.  Ashdown Ingram is the Australian distributor for Valeo I believe. 

Valeo is the modern whole of beand name of the company formerly known as SAFF, who owned brands we're used to seeing on our Porsches, like Marchal, Paris-Rhône and Cibié.

On 4/1/2018 at 6:47 AM, MFX said:

I have to chase it up, but the company in Qld would rewind and refurbish your existing alternator to a higher output for around $200 from memory. It is of particular note if you want to run a @Jonny Retrofit Classic Retrofit A/C set up.

$200?

SHIT.

That is cheap... I have an alternator at Sterling Auto Electrics here in Brisbane.. apparently they refurb them for the Porsche independents... They have had it for 5 weeks now.. 

2 hours ago, Mike D'Silva said:

$200?

SHIT.

That is cheap... I have an alternator at Sterling Auto Electrics here in Brisbane.. apparently they refurb them for the Porsche independents... They have had it for 5 weeks now.. 

That is what I thought when I called them (although it was around 12 months ago). I just got slack and haven't sent it up to them yet. I suppose it is hard to stay motivated without an engine ;) 

Last night, in a moment of weakness and despair, i shelled out nearly 500 AU clams on one of those EPS hybrid impellers. Apparently they flow around 30% more air with no more parasitic load on the engine. 

39 minutes ago, Stew F said:

Last night, in a moment of weakness and despair, i shelled out nearly 500 AU clams on one of those EPS hybrid impellers. Apparently they flow around 30% more air with no more parasitic load on the engine. 

What is that? Is it like a plastic replacement for the regular fan?

18 minutes ago, Stew F said:

No, it's an aluminum casting.

$500 is good value, as it would cost at least that for a regular 11 blade fan. Have you got a link?

When I get it all fitted I'll have to conduct some comparison testing and post the results. Of course that means lots of driving under controlled conditions.

Archived