OBD scan tools for 996/996

carl888

Anyone used one of these scan tools by Schwaben:

https://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/shopcart/TOOL/POR_TOOL_STGEN1_pg3.htm?utm_source=Pelican+Pit+Stop+Newsletter&utm_campaign=32ea976b09-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2018_04_11&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_e247719183-32ea976b09-68444661#utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=camispc

And if so, did you like it?

Question, does it offer personalisation of some of the peripheral functions such as the speed at which the automatic door locking mechanism is activated?

Thanks for any information.

CJ

15 hours ago, carl888 said:

https://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/shopcart/TOOL/POR_TOOL_STGEN1_pg3.htm?utm_source=Pelican+Pit+Stop+Newsletter&utm_campaign=32ea976b09-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2018_04_11&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_e247719183-32ea976b09-68444661#utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=camispc

Question, does it offer personalisation of some of the peripheral functions such as the speed at which the automatic door locking mechanism is activated?

CJ

I don't have any experience with that particular tool but at that price i'd only consider a Durametric which can program certain features.

If you're looking to turn on/off particular features I have a PIWIS 2, you're welcome to come past and we can plug it in if you'd like.

After talking to dan_189 I bought a PIWIS, I'll be selling a durametric pro shortly.

Pretty sure the durametic allows you to turn it on and off, not adjust the speed though

1 minute ago, Russ said:

After talking to dan_189 I bought a PIWIS, I'll be selling a durametric pro shortly.

Pretty sure the durametic allows you to turn it on and off, not adjust the speed though

Got it all setup and working Russ?

@carl888 I'd recommend a durametric for a novice/intermediate user and a PIWIS 2 for an advanced. 

Thanks for the replies gentlemen,

Dan, that's a very kind offer, most appreciated.  For some reason I have this aversion to using other peoples tools, but I'll let you know if I'm stuck.

I see the genuine article isn't that expensive anyway, add $110 USD for the software (I'm assuming it's about as useful as a chocolate teapot without it) and it's $449 USD here:

http://www.obd2tool.com/goods-6933-Best+Price+Porsche+Piwis+Tester+II.html

At that price you have to add a laptop but it's still great value, unless anyone has a better source?

Hang on, was that the genuine article above?  What's this one?

http://www.obd2tool.com/goods-4998-Original+Porsche+Piwis+Tester+II+with+CF30+Laptop.html

20 hours ago, carl888 said:

CJ

I ordered one of these yesterday,as I like that it is self contained, I will let you know how it goes, I went with this as the whole , just plug it in to your laptop never works for me.

I had the cable and laptop set up on my 993, but only after I got a tame nerd friend to make it work, when the laptop shit itself, we couldn`t get it to work on my newer laptop, so I gave up, if this does what it says, it should be OK for what I want.

PIWIS is difficult to use and adds quite a few variables into the mix like Windows licenses, PIWIS licences etc. So it can be tricky to setup. Once it is though it's the most powerful option. 

@StevepGT3 if you get stuck drop me a PM.

I didn't buy a kit I got the software, PIWIS and hardware and then a CF30. 

I'd recommend the durametric as the most user friendly. 

there's also a bit of a difference in the PIWIS copies that are out there too, down to chipsets and cooling and complexity. don't know how it affects their performance though

11 minutes ago, Russ said:

there's also a bit of a difference in the PIWIS copies that are out there too, down to chipsets and cooling and complexity. don't know how it affects their performance though

Correct, I did quite a bit of research before buying mine and bought the best one out there. Even down to examining the chipset models and comparing them. Biggest difference was build quality and firmware capability. 

On 13/04/2018 at 9:56 PM, dan_189 said:

Correct, I did quite a bit of research before buying mine and bought the best one out there. Even down to examining the chipset models and comparing them. Biggest difference was build quality and firmware capability. 

Hi Dan,

Couldyou advise where you bought the PIWIS and the approximate cost.

cheers Warren

1 hour ago, quasio said:

out of curiosity what are some examples of things you can change with the piwis/durametric on a 996.2

Great question:

- Coding (for example enabling a CD changer which is what I needed to do) even things like changing the time it takes before the car re-locks itself if the doors aren't opened or making the doors lock when you takeoff

- Reading error codes or clearing codes (such as unplugging a seat belt and turning on the ignition

- Reading live values - temps, cam deviation, oil temp, coolant temp

- Testing - turning things on like the rear AUX fan for example

Its a long list, however they aren't things you'd probably do on a regular basis

This is a good maxtix of what can be done (on a Durametric) but basically if you can't do it with the Durametric you can do it with a PIWIS - as a rule of thumb.

http://www.durametric.com/modelfeaturematrix.aspx

Archived