996.2 Headlight refurb help?

TwoHeadsTas

Now that I've got my car back with it's brand new LH Headlight, the RH side is looking decidedly dull and in need of a refurb.  I have a Kitten refinishing kit, which worked pretty well on my daughter's car when I did that, although the lens did dull off again fairly quickly.  I've read that clearcoat is a good option to keep the shine.

Anyone had any experience with this or alternative suggestions for the final coating?

thanks

I used a kit on my last Merc and same as you it looked great straight away but then faded again.... not sure there is a permanent solution.

I think even 2 pac clear will go the same over time.... how much is a new light or can you just get a lens?

I did this a few weeks ago on my cup car as someone had given the headlights the ugly treatment. Mask off, rub back with 380 (I had to get paint off so needed more grit), followed by 800, followed by IPA wipe down and repaint with clear coat. I used rustoleum clear as I had it already but on a street car I’d use a 2pac in the can which should last as long as OEM clear if applied correctly. 3 coats is what you’ll want, maybe finish it with a compound polish depending on how perfect and smooth you want it.E26_D715_C-17_F3-4_DF8-8779-857_AA1_ACA9

F3474786-605_E-4748-_AF01-_AEAB9542_B142

7_BDB4_C58-_F7_A4-46_C8-_BD07-_FA4_DC38_

2 hours ago, ANF said:

I used a kit on my last Merc and same as you it looked great straight away but then faded again.... not sure there is a permanent solution.

I think even 2 pac clear will go the same over time.... how much is a new light or can you just get a lens?

$2k for a new light, only available as complete unit Adam!!!

I can try a lot of options for that amount ?

On 6/1/2018 at 11:18 AM, spiller said:

I did this a few weeks ago on my cup car as someone had given the headlights the ugly treatment. Mask off, rub back with 380 (I had to get paint off so needed more grit), followed by 800, followed by IPA wipe down and repaint with clear coat. I used rustoleum clear as I had it already but on a street car I’d use a 2pac in the can which should last as long as OEM clear if applied correctly. 3 coats is what you’ll want, maybe finish it with a compound polish depending on how perfect and smooth you want it

7_BDB4_C58-_F7_A4-46_C8-_BD07-_FA4_DC38_

Gee they come up really great, satisfying outcome for your hard work. 

4 hours ago, poli84 said:

Gee they come up really great, satisfying outcome for your hard work. 

Thanks, I was pretty pleased with the outcome. If I had my time again I would have used a 2 pack as the rustoleum is not as high quality and finishes with a very slight yellow tinge, however it's a race car so I don't lose sleep over it. Certainly much better than the badger eyes!

Archived