996/997 sunroof issues ?

Slick

Hi all,

I have a 997 and the sunroof has recently started playing up. It wont slide open unless I first tilt up, tilt down and then try slide open. Additionally the one-touch open and one-touch close features no longer work. If you do a re-learn on the controls it starts working normally, but a few minutes later it reverts back to the "non-working" state.

I had a look on Rennlist and it seems to be a common problem in the US with 996 and 997's. Apparently the motor needs replacing.

Just wondering if anybody here has experienced the same issue? If so, did you replace the motor and where did you source the motor from?

Cheers,

Frank

Yep, same issue here and have been living with it for awhile now. It's unfortunately the motor unit that contains the logic board. I'll be replacing mine later this month.

You can tell it's not your switch by the fact that it worked for a little while after re-learning. 

23 hours ago, Mike737 said:

Yep, same issue here and have been living with it for awhile now. It's unfortunately the motor unit that contains the logic board. I'll be replacing mine later this month.

I’m living with it for now too, but will eventually replace the motor!

Are you going to DIY the motor replacement or have your dealer do it?

If you’re going to DIY it there are some detailed instructions on Rennlist and 6speedonline. You probably already found them but let me know if you want me to dig them up for you.

• 3 weeks later...

I have similar issues, but also slightly different. The housing for the switch has cracked, so isn't locating the switch properly - planning to replace this first. My roof will open, but when it closes, the wind deflector doesn't automatically lower and can get stuck between the sunroof closing and the body of the car. Strange - as it seems like a mechanical retraction system. Haven't really looked into it yet, but is on the list. 

On 10/04/2019 at 12:07, Slick said:

I’m living with it for now too, but will eventually replace the motor!

Are you going to DIY the motor replacement or have your dealer do it?

If you’re going to DIY it there are some detailed instructions on Rennlist and 6speedonline. You probably already found them but let me know if you want me to dig them up for you.

I ended up getting it done. New motor fixed it.

Expect around a $1600 job if you get someone to do it.