My daughter just came back from a weekend at Warburton and she said that the Reefton Spur Road has been badly hit by a fire in March.  The road has just reopened after being closed for 6 weeks.  Has anyone been on the run lately, if so how bad is the damage?

13 minutes ago, Lucky Phil said:

My daughter just came back from a weekend at Warburton and she said that the Reefton Spur Road has been badly hit by a fire in March.  The road has just reopened after being closed for 6 weeks.  Has anyone been on the run lately, if so how bad is the damage?

Hi phil

Roads fine opened Friday morning.

we have a place in Warburton and one of my close mates has just taken over the Reefton Pub so we are up there all the time. Damage is bad but only in specific areas. Not great to look at but completely accessible.

We were there two weeks back and they turned us back. Damage was apparently mostly the barriers etc.

On a side note, if you're doing the usual run gem brook - Launching Place leg, they've resurfaced the last 5 or so k's before Launching Place from Hoddles Creek. Crap, gravel mix asphalt and lots of loose gravel everywhere. You can turn off on Wickhams Road or Parkinsons Road to give it a miss.

Drove it this morning after being turned back last week.

Top 2/3rds of the run up to Cumberland Junction from Reefton was signposted at 60. Just before the junction a crew was grading the edges but with no traffic I was waved through pretty quickly. Fair amount of dirt all the way back down to Reefton from grading. Guessing they used the opportunity of the road being closed to do some maintenance? Road was untouched from Cumberland Junction down to Marysville, just a little damp this morning.

Quite surreal driving through what is usual lush bush!

11 hours ago, Andy73 said:

On a side note, if you're doing the usual run gem brook - Launching Place leg, they've resurfaced the last 5 or so k's before Launching Place from Hoddles Creek. Crap, gravel mix asphalt and lots of loose gravel everywhere. You can turn off on Wickhams Road or Parkinsons Road to give it a miss.

Drove this last week and again today. Gravel has mostly now been flicked off the road, nowhere near as bad as a week ago.

Archived