1971 upper steering column

Merv

On the '71 there seems to be no bushing supporting the top of the column (as shown-not actual car).  Is this correct and is there a bearing further down? Any images of upper steering column of 70-71 cars?

steering bushing.jpg

Pretty much the same as my 68 with minor differences Chris.  The shaft seems unsupported (Geoff's car) at the top end except by the spring and the guide ring (above) from Airhead.  There is a slight click/clunk as you turn the steering wheel about 60 degrees each way.  Tie rod ends are good, new steering shaft universals, damper to the rack is new.  The noise is at the top end for sure.

Hey @Merv

Just out of curiosity, have you lifted the front end off the ground via the torsion bars? I only ask, as I had a very similar 'clunk'  (kind of sounded/felt like a front wheel drive that has buggered CV joints) when turning the wheels when it was back on the ground. It's gone now, and am completely lost as to what it was

Yes, Lee we had it up on axle stands, but they were under the crossmember while the torsion bars were removed and cleaned and the control arms refurbished and bushings replaced (fun job). We had noticed the noise earlier on there road, and with the car up I found the lower steering universal had at least 1mm of play in it, so it was replaced with new. The damper from shaft to rack is also new.  The noise is certainly coming from the upper shaft area.  It is hard to find diagrams of the upper steering column on the 70-71 cars.  Lots around for later cars.

I asked on ESR and as usual you get little out of them. 

I think the bushing that Airhead showed is correct for your car and also needs the spring pressure (wheel tightened down correctly) to eliminate play.

See 6 and 7

The reason I asked about the wheel is that quite often the bush and spring come off and stick to the steering wheel , leaving people thinking there is too much free play in the top of the column.

steeringspring005.jpg

attachment.php?attachmentid=88581&stc=1&

Thanks Chris.  There is no free play in the wheel when mounted and the steering is now sharp.  Parts 6 and 7 are fitted correctly and the 27mm nut tightened.  I am suspecting part 1 as the source of the slight 'click' at about 60 degrees each way?  The purpose of #1 is a support bushing it seems?

We had replaced the lower universal joint and checked the top one also.  On checking yet again with a short rod to conduct sound better, there is a slight noise in the top universal when rotating.  New one on the way.  If that isn't the cure then the possible sources of the noise remain as the lower bearing and the smaller top bearing which does rotate freely (914.347.71100)RLB10g.jpg.b2c321130d74080d8f1f3194ef37c110.jpg