A couple of minor problems

Merv

1. All going well with the Carrera and I am going through circuits at the moment. The only electrical issue remaining is no high beam when switched on by the indicator/dimmer switch.  I have low beam and flash function with momentary hi-beam, but no sustained hi beam when the lever is pushed forward. I removed the unit and have cleaned and checked the contacts and they seem to be OK and in the correct positions for lo and hi-beamThere is no burning or evident damage. Is it possible that the problem is my dash light switch itself? However, why does the hi-beam 'flash' function work and not the hi-beam switch on the lever switch?  I can buy a switch but wanted to make sure it was in fact the switch first.
  2. The other issue relates to the hydraulic clutch.  The entire clutch system was recently rebuilt and performs well.  However, I would like to bleed the slave cylinder just to flush through some new fluid.  I can see the slave cylinder on the top of the tranny and get my small 7mm ring spanner on it but the bleed nipple won't turn.  I have a Motive pressure bleeder and can get a good seal on the reservoir. Any tricks with this job?

Merv,

1)It is the hi/lo beam switch.  I had the same problem.  There are many Pelican forum threads on how to fix.  Also suggest you install relays to protect the contacts.  Pelican sell kits.  You'll be amazed how much brighter the lights are.  Mine were anyway!

2)Have never bleed mine so I'm no help sorry. 

Thanks Peter.  Yes I fitted relays in the buckets on my 68.  Amazing difference. I have read all the Pelican threads I think but my switch looks just fine and I don't want to buy one to find it makes no difference. 

If you can get a small hammer to the end of the bleed screw and give it a sharp tap they can sometimes free up, make sure you use a single hex ring spanner or socket to reduce the chance of rounding the bleed screw.

Ideally have the spanner on the screw with pressure when you hit it, if this doesn't work you will need to remove it from the car and get serious with it. Having been recently overhauled it shouldn't be seized just tight, if the bleeder hex is rounded you can also use small vice grips.

On 03/08/2019 at 17:45, Merv said:
  1. All going well with the Carrera and I am going through circuits at the moment. The only electrical issue remaining is no high beam when switched on by the indicator/dimmer switch.  I have low beam and flash function with momentary hi-beam, but no sustained hi beam when the lever is pushed forward. I removed the unit and have cleaned and checked the contacts and they seem to be OK and in the correct positions for lo and hi-beamThere is no burning or evident damage. Is it possible that the problem is my dash light switch itself? However, why does the hi-beam 'flash' function work and not the hi-beam switch on the lever switch?  I can buy a switch but wanted to make sure it was in fact the switch first.

I have a similar but different problem.  When I first bought the car the flasher would not work but hi beam did which indicated 1. A broken wire or 2. A different power source ie a hot wire.

After taking the switch off, I found a broken wire and some bad soldering. I cleaned it up and reattached the wire only to find I only have flasher if the park or headlight switch is on.  This confirms that there must be a hot wire, or a power bypass circuit around the headlight switch, to the flasher contacts or it’s option 3. The power wire is on the wrong contact, but I’ve been too lazy to find and fix it.  I think it must be the result of someone having a play with the wiring.  Gotta love P.Os

I might have a go at it tomorrow.  How hard can it be?  And I have a fire extinguisher.

Sounds similar.  My switch has uncompromised solder joints, wiring and plastic mounting, and I aligned the contacts correctly.  Bit of a mystery. I am trying to get an old one that works to check that item itself before looking elsewhere.

No I don't believe it is the contact array in the indicator/dimmer switch/lever. Tested on the bench with a 12 source and seems fine. It could of course be breaking down under load. 

I suspect that the lights switch on the dash is not all correct as there are a few wires added over the years by POs and some of the colours don't match up. with those below. 

Light Switch layout.jpg

Merv,

I suggest you are disappearing down a rabbit warren with regard the main light switch as there is no possible wiring permutation that would provide the issues you describe in your opening post.

I'm happy to email you a wiring diagram from a Bentley workshop manual if you want.

Regards

Peter

It seems unlikely Peter, but it is all that is left.  I may have a spare used switch coming t test against mine.  I also need to check the voltage at the headlights.

Yes send that diagram through.  I have all the 356 ones from Joe Leoni but not the Carrera ones.

I have bitten the bullet and bought a new wiper/flasher switch.  Wasn't much more than a second hand one that could have had future problems.  I find that eBay and other suppliers in Germany and UK are cheaper than any sources from the US these days.

Connecting it to the dash light switch will be fun, given the unusual collection of wires on some of the posts there now.  That diagram would be good Peter, if you have one of that component.

Thanks Peter, co-incidentially I found the same one today.  I wish there was a 911 version of the 356 book by Joe L. where he broke down the overall vehicle schematic into individual diagrams  by component.  https://blocks-books.com/BLOCKS-BOOKS/356Electrics.html