The Adelaide Classic

LeeM

Entry registrations are now open for this to 'take the place' of the Motorsport Festival.

Personally, and as much as I think The Bend is probably the best motorsport venue in Australia, it should be held at Mallala.

The Bend lacks the soul and up close spectator availability Mallala would provide if they want a 'Goodwood type' event. Hope I'm wrong, but I reckon it will be a flop

https://www.speedcafe.com/2019/08/17/registrations-open-for-the-bend-classic/?fbclid=IwAR12K_v-HiRcDHfZcYoKbTJDFT3tuz0ad1cRP5TuxoMOsrCN3wcP-paRJRk

They  tried a few of these in Sydney some years ago and had good turn outs of cars and spectators for the first couple of years and then it seemed to just fade away ,Muscle car Masters was a big one for a period at SMSP but it too seems to have died off ,last one I went to was crap ,,I still think the  Philip Island classic is the Best of them always seems to deliver the great classic cars and the big name racers from decade past with a great family friendly atmosphere ,,,I think Melbourne has really strong classic car following  ..Sydney seems to be lacking that IMO ... 

Hope they can do it and keep it going ,,you just have to market it well and get people interested.

I think these meets will never be as big as the ones overseas ,,,our small population limits us,,I wouldn,t expect Oz events to ever rival Goodwood or some of the Big classic revivals you see in North America and Europe ..

But lets hope they can create something special and unique ...

Victoria has it going on, mainly because it's kinda central to Sydney and Adelaide. I know some racers from SA won't travel to Sydney but will to Philip Island, yet say Winton is too far away.

I know Sam Shahin (The Bend owner) is a mad motorsport fan and very handy in his Carrera Cup car(s), not to mention their extensive car collection, yet to hold the 'Classic' there won't attract that many people in my opinion. Mallala (also owned by the Shahin family) is perfect for that sort of meeting being 2.4km long, as it has a historic feel about the place (aka it hasnt changed at all in many years) and it's closer to the city than Tailem Bend. For those who havent been there, The Bend is basically a Grand Prix circuit with amazing facilities and a sensational track, but they won't, and can't replace the Motorsport Festival that was in the heart of the city. I reckon theyll be lucky to get 5000 people there due to  location (even though it's free spectator entry and I will be going with a few others in the Porkers) when the Motorsport festival would have 30,000 or probably more attend because it's so close for parking and/or public transport. I most certainly hope the Classic is a huge success for The Bend and South Australian motorsport competitors and fans, and that everything is as accessible as it was in the city, yet I'm sure many won't go because of the travel component to get to Tailem Bend. I spoke with 3 guys today who won't be going for that reason.

If anyone is thinking about coming over to compete, you will LOVE The Bend as a circuit being smooth, fast and technical, so watch some videos to get an idea where the track goes. Think its $900 entry fee

I’m very grateful that I was able to attend and be a part of last years rally and Motorsport festival, best Motorsport event I’ve ever seen. I shared the experience with a very good mate (and Motorsport/rally tragic) who vividly remembers being picked up from school and being thrown into the back of his dads 911T and tearing across to SA overnight to watch the F1! 

The history of the Adelaide F1 GP is s big part of what made the AMF so special, Street circuit, in the heart of the city, racecars driving through the streets - such an amazing backdrop and setting to crest a real “festival” event. 

So special was Jims early memories of Adelaide his dad & uncle whom he used to attend the GP with came over to be a part of the event - they arrived for the street party and visited us every day at Park Feme, only a short stroll from their city hotel suite. 

Hard to beat that, such a shame to see the event struggle. No doubt an alternative will be arranged but it will be hard to beat the original event given its origins and history. 

The AMF organisers say its hoping to be back next year with some private funding. Tim is a good guy with a passion for both motorsport and Porsches (we meet up now and then in the hills), and I for one hope it comes back asap bigger and better than ever. As you say Hugh, its a very unique event 

19 hours ago, LeeM said:

The AMF organisers say its hoping to be back next year with some private funding. Tim is a good guy with a passion for both motorsport and Porsches (we meet up now and then in the hills), and I for one hope it comes back asap bigger and better than ever. As you say Hugh, its a very unique event 

I hope it makes a come back. I'd like to come back to Adelaide one day and expand the list of sites I've seen there, which consists of: The Airport, a BP servo and your garage 😂...

13 minutes ago, JWM said:

I hope it makes a come back. I'd like to come back to Adelaide one day and expand the list of sites I've seen there, which consists of: The Airport, a BP servo and your garage 😂...

Thought the latter would be the highlight of any trip to SA mate? Or avoid tripping over all the crap more like it 😄