Advancing cam timing on 911sc

Nevdog69

Hi 

I have read that porsche advanced the cam timing of the 911sc by 6 degrees in 1980.  This increased the performance an hp to 188

I have a 78 model and was going to do this so it met the 80 spec.  

Has anyone done this and is it worthy/ safe

Hi Nevdog

Have you checked whether your current distributor is still OK? Shaft wear with timing wander, worn vacuum units, frozen or sloppy advance springs are all likely If your distributor is original and you have a high mileage motor.

I had my SC distributor rebuilt by performance ignition in Melbourne after finding some shaft wear-Peter is the porsche guru there.  It was recalibrated to have an earlier onset spring advance curve (I had 964 cams). The difference was enormous and probably the best bang for buck spend that I have done.

Lukas

Hi Nevdog

just saw your other dizzy post. An adjustable timing light (80 dollars on ebay) and some earmuffs will help you work out what kind of advance you are getting across the rev range. You can also get an idea about timing wander that may indicate a need for dizzy rebuild. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 27/08/2019 at 17:02, Nevdog69 said:

Hi 

I have read that porsche advanced the cam timing of the 911sc by 6 degrees in 1980.  This increased the performance an hp to 188

I have a 78 model and was going to do this so it met the 80 spec.  

Has anyone done this and is it worthy/ safe

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/911-engine-rebuilding-forum/450932-cam-timing-3-0-ltr-sc.html

Some good info on this thread, you may have already seen it. If you want a hand, I have a digital degree wheel to allow you to conduct very accurate cam timing.