Newbie Buyer

Hi all,

Looking to purchase my first Porsche in Australia.  Lucky enough to have leased quite a few different models while living in Japan.

Narrowing it down to:

964 Targa

993 Coupe (maybe Cab)

996 Coupe (maybe Cab)

The top too my favourites to look at, the 996 because so affordable.

If anyone has the inclination, I'm after general comments on what to look for, and specifically on what problems I might encounter with higher mileage models.

How long will well-looked after engines go for, and what can I expect to spend on reconditioning of replacing an engine?

Grateful for any advice and comments.

Cheers

MikePJ

41 minutes ago, MikePJ said:

Hi all,

Looking to purchase my first Porsche in Australia.  Lucky enough to have leased quite a few different models while living in Japan.

Narrowing it down to:

964 Targa

993 Coupe (maybe Cab)

996 Coupe (maybe Cab)

If anyone has the inclination, I'm after general comments on what to look for, and specifically on what problems I might encounter with higher mileage models.

How long will well-looked after engines go for, and what can I expect to spend on reconditioning of replacing an engine?

Cheers

MikePJ

There are 100's of links and comments about all your questions raised on PFA.  You need to spend a few hours just trolling through the topics of interest.  Put in a few searches and see what comes up and then read.  In a few weeks you will be an expert ready to start looking.  If you then have some specific questions in relation to something that you have read there are many many people on this forum who can give you expert guidance.  Even specific cars you may be considering have more than likely been viewed or owned by someone on the forum or a friend of someone on the forum.  Enjoy become educated.  Believe me it is fun and the only way to becoming a true Porsche fanatic.

IMO 964 & 993 offer a similarish ownership experience with aesthetics being the biggest difference (again that's just for me.... the softer front lines of the 993 have never quite sat well with me).   The 996 is a whole nother thing...different ownership experience entirely.  I regret moving on our manual C4s - it was rough around the edges (compared with the 993) but such an accomplished performer for the money & would have one again in a heartbeat.

If you're looking at prices for engine rebuilds - I'd suggest talking directly with one of the several Porsche shops in Sydney.  They'll give you an idea of top to bottom pricing across aircooled & watercooled.

On 23/10/2019 at 11:52, TwoHeadsTas said:

Self interest here 🙂

Looks great.  Maybe a little soon for me.  I'll spend some time getting educated.  If it's not sold in a few months... let's talk.

On 23/10/2019 at 21:25, Gavin (CliffToCoast) said:

IMO 964 & 993 offer a similarish ownership experience with aesthetics being the biggest difference (again that's just for me.... the softer front lines of the 993 have never quite sat well with me).   The 996 is a whole nother thing...different ownership experience entirely.  I regret moving on our manual C4s - it was rough around the edges (compared with the 993) but such an accomplished performer for the money & would have one again in a heartbeat.

If you're looking at prices for engine rebuilds - I'd suggest talking directly with one of the several Porsche shops in Sydney.  They'll give you an idea of top to bottom pricing across aircooled & watercooled.

Really helpful comment; much obliged.

On 23/10/2019 at 11:41, Lucky Phil said:

There are 100's of links and comments about all your questions raised on PFA.  You need to spend a few hours just trolling through the topics of interest.  Put in a few searches and see what comes up and then read.  In a few weeks you will be an expert ready to start looking.  If you then have some specific questions in relation to something that you have read there are many many people on this forum who can give you expert guidance.  Even specific cars you may be considering have more than likely been viewed or owned by someone on the forum or a friend of someone on the forum.  Enjoy become educated.  Believe me it is fun and the only way to becoming a true Porsche fanatic.

Thanks - I'm taking your advice.

On 23/10/2019 at 10:53, MikePJ said:

Hi all,

Narrowing it down to:

964 Targa

993 Coupe (maybe Cab)

996 Coupe (maybe Cab)

Cheers

MikePJ

Hey Mike,  something else you really should do is drive as many different models as you can, it's very important to be clear on which models feel right to you and what price range your in. This can help narrow down which cars to look at and drive. Good luck with your search.