Weird 6 stacker issue on my 997

Dave997S

It could be just my hearing (I’m going deaf in the left ear) but swear that when I play a cd from the stacker, the speed of the song is slow down by maybe 25%.

A cd played via the dash sound perfect.

I'm yet to take a cd from the stacker and insert into the dash to hear the difference but wondering if anyone else has experienced this?

*in before “why play music when you can enjoy the sound of that engine”

1 minute ago, Dave986 said:

Yeah, I’m looking at a Bluetooth solution but still keen to get this sorted.

There are a few Bluetooth solutions - also depends on which head unit you've got (i.e. CDR vs PCM) more options for PCM than CDR.

From most expensive to least:

- Dension Gateway 500 - if you have a PCM unit you can use the Gateway 500BT if you have CDR you're stuck with the Gateway 500 + Bovee WMA1000 or AUX cable (which is not great)

- MoBridge (certain models wont stream via bluetooth only AUX)

- Chinese MOST unit (no experience with these but simple enough) works like the two above but around half the price

- FM hard wired transmitter i.e. TranzitBLU (IMO avoid) 

- FM transmitter (Definitely avoid)

This is a DIY activity if you have patience and some experience in wiring things. Otherwise there are places around that can do it for you but the MOST system can be tricky and complicated so IMO take it to someone who knows what they are doing.

Not sure on why that would be, but as others have mentioned, ditch the CD stacker!

I went for the Mobridge M2 module which sits behind the dash. I can Bluetooth music off my phone, make phone calls and answer via the steering wheels and its works with the BOSE stereo (if you have it ticked as a factory option).

The six stacker is still in the car, just not functional anymore. Sill retain the factory dash

approx $900 installed from No Limit in Port Melbourne: http://www.nolimitcsv.com.au/    

that was a couple of years ago though

5 hours ago, 911 Snake said:

Not sure on why that would be, but as others have mentioned, ditch the CD stacker!

I went for the Mobridge M2 module which sits behind the dash. I can Bluetooth music off my phone, make phone calls and answer via the steering wheels and its works with the BOSE stereo (if you have it ticked as a factory option).

The six stacker is still in the car, just not functional anymore. Sill retain the factory dash

approx $900 installed from No Limit in Port Melbourne: http://www.nolimitcsv.com.au/    

that was a couple of years ago though

I’ve heard I can keep the stacker function as I have the inbuilt mobile phone handset.  

I found a page on the internet but didn’t bookmark it 😬

Had a chat to the guys at Automotive Integration a couple of weeks ago about getting a Mobridge installed in my car (987.2 Boxster, PCM 3 w/ BOSE) - one of the things I wanted to find out was whether something like that would allow you to control the music from the PCM, or whether you still need to do that from your device; no go from the PCM apparently, still need to Select / Stop / Start from your phone.

It was also pointed out to me that apparently PCM units of that vintage are starting to fail, and it may be worth my while to consider replacing the whole head unit instead (which is something I'm thinking about anyway). 

So in the meantime I've got one of these plugged in to the AUX input in the centre console, with the USB for power right next to it if required:

https://www.audiotrends.com.au/wireless-audio-headphones/wireless-audio-speakers-all-categories/wireless-bluetooth-adaptors/portable-bluetooth-receiver.html

Works a treat!

Edit: Should point out that the car already lets me make and take phone calls via bluetooth, so it's just the music streaming that the Mobridge would have given me.

Edited by np9000

On 25/10/2019 at 20:48, Dave986 said:

I’ve heard I can keep the stacker function as I have the inbuilt mobile phone handset.  

I found a page on the internet but didn’t bookmark it 😬

Certain models of the Dension Gateway and MoBridge can allow you to retain your CD stacker functionality - my Dension Gateway 500 has the option. My car didn't have one so no need for me.

If you're handy it's definitely a DIY job just some routing and placement to be done. Happy to give you a hand if you need one - you just need to think of the MOST system as a loop - the data travels in a circle: Head unit -> Amplifier -> CD stacker -> Head Unit then becomes: Head unit -> Amplifier -> CD stacker -> Dension/MoBridge -> Head Unit

Diagrams are from a 996 but should be similar for the 997 

MOST1.PNG

MOST2.PNG

3 hours ago, dan_189 said:

Certain models of the Dension Gateway and MoBridge can allow you to retain your CD stacker functionality - my Dension Gateway 500 has the option. My car didn't have one so no need for me.

If you're handy it's definitely a DIY job just some routing and placement to be done. Happy to give you a hand if you need one - you just need to think of the MOST system as a loop - the data travels in a circle: Head unit -> Amplifier -> CD stacker -> Head Unit then becomes: Head unit -> Amplifier -> CD stacker -> Dension/MoBridge -> Head Unit

Diagrams are from a 996 but should be similar for the 997 

MOST1.PNG

MOST2.PNG

Thanks @dan_189 how far are you from Geelong / Melbourne 😉

I’m not handy

I'm in Essendon - although I have very limited experience with the MoBridge system (helped a mate get his working again) but I have done my own Dension system.

The MoBridge has a very strange feature where if you turn it off 3 times quickly it disables the unit! Half the install is just figuring out where to put the unit and routing the wires!

Just now, Dave986 said:

I @dan_189 I’m preferring the Denison 500S BT unit 

That would be my recommendation as well. I couldn't get that particular unit because I don't have PCM but I would have. I spent a few months and quite a few 30pin to bluetooth units until I found a working solution. I can also change the track on Spotify from my head unit!

Ive got Mobridge in my 997.1. It connects to the Satellite radio connection on the back of the PCM. I can skip songs using the PCM but all other music control must be done through the device. Answer calls using the PCM buttons, song titles displayed on the PCM. Had it installed at No Limits in South Melbourne after Automotive Integration gave me the same speil as np9000.