TURBO 4 CAYMAN BOXSTER A MISTAKE?

Niko

I think like most car manufacturers it comes down to sales $$$

Many have posted above that the 718 is a brilliant car that outperformed its predecessor in every aspect ,and was a class above the outgoing 981 as one would expect in the next generation of car ..

Porsche press releases on the 718 always showed how much cleaner the car was and its ability to out perform the 981 everywere .

I do remember them stating due to ever changing environmental constraints the future was the turbo flat 4 engine and the 6 would be exclusive to the 911 and the GT cars

The biggest complaint word wide is that the turbo flat 4 power plant  sounded like a WRX ,,,and yes that is understandable , it is the same engine configuration ,its a no brainer ,,but many car reviews did make a big noise about this and it being not very Porsche like .I have seen tuners pull big hp numbers and amazing performance figures from the Turbo flat 4 ,but these tuners and those who like tuned cars only fill a small % of the 718 owners and sales .

Sales have been less than expected on the 718 and it would seem Porsche is doing a backflip and going back to a flat 6 to increase sales as it currently is not happy with the figures and hopes this will solve the issue .

It seems to be the case of what will increase sales $$$$ and they believe this is the answer ,,,at least they had the sense and foresight to allow for a larger longer engine to fit the 718 chassis when it was designed ,,,hopefully both engine options remain ,as buyers do like personal choice and allow those who want the Turbo 4 to have it ..

15 hours ago, Raven said:

The biggest complaint word wide is that the turbo flat 4 power plant  sounded like a WRX ,,,and yes that is understandable , it is the same engine configuration ,its a no brainer ,,but many car reviews did make a big noise about this and it being not very Porsche like .I have seen tuners pull big hp numbers and amazing performance figures from the Turbo flat 4 ,but these tuners and those who like tuned cars only fill a small % of the 718 owners and sales .

The sad thing is that the sound is a result of specific exhaust tuning and the artificial sound created in the cabin by the soundakator. 

The specific exhaust tuning being the use of unequal length headers, if you use equal length headers on a WRX for example it will sound similar to any other 4 cylinder. (ie) completely looses the "WRX Throb"

At the release of the 718 Porsche put out a video series, part of that was a video discussing how they tuned the sound, its artificial just like all the pops and crackles from the previous generation 981. Its all tuned to what they think the (global) market will like. The 987/997 generation did not have the pops and crakles when you back off however by the time of the 981 it was the thing that manufacturers were doing. Artificially creating a pop or crackle.

The sound the 718 makes is more of a result of what they thought the market wanted rather than what it could sound like....

I hope they dont go putting any artificial sound created nonsense on the 4.0 ,,,just dont understand why there is any need for such a thing with the active cockpit control sports exhaust ..

The GT4 and previous 981 sounded great