Hi Fi Stereo Gear Repairer Recommendations

Hi everyone, I have tried posting this on a Hi Fi Forum but no luck, also contacted Marantz but again no luck, so reaching out to the PFA community as you guys always come through with the goods

I have some vintage Hi Fi gear that I have recently brought out of storage and have started playing my vinyl again.  I had forgotten how much I like the sound of vinyl and each record brings back lots of memories.  I have over 500 LP's, so lots of variety.  The turntable is still great and have bought a new cartridge and belt.  Amp runs perfect.  Speakers have been re-foamed by Speaker Bits in Port Melbourne and still sound good, but "Speaker Bits" seem to have gone out of business.  Have purchased a vinyl washer and it really does clean the vinyl and makes the records nice and clear again.  Have even bought some new vinyl as JB Hi Fi have a big selection again.  It's just like the old days.

Now the problem.  I got out all my old cassette tapes yesterday to play them as well, but my Marantz tape deck does not work (Model is SD3510 if you want to look it up).  Some belts have perished and it is making an odd noise like a motor is kaput.  I really like the tape deck so wish to have it repaired and brought back to it's former glory but I cannot seem to find a repairer.

Does anyone know someone who can fix it in Melbourne?  Mornington Peninsula or Bayside suburbs would be perfect but I am willing to travel a bit further when we are again allowed to venture out.

A technician will most likely charge you $150-$200 to look at it, plus the cost of any parts required.

On the other hand, you could buy a working deck, the same model you have, for around $150 (there's one for sale on Gumtree right now that's had new belts fitted).  You then keep your existing deck for spare parts (heads etc), should you need them in the future.

Spares, especially heads would be good to have. As the tape is a ferris material the depost left on them during use can be damaging especially if the deck is not used regularly. I'd be inclined to clean the heads after use if you're not likely to use it much.

On 18/04/2020 at 11:59, Alex69T said:

A technician will most likely charge you $150-$200 to look at it, plus the cost of any parts required.

On the other hand, you could buy a working deck, the same model you have, for around $150 (there's one for sale on Gumtree right now that's had new belts fitted).  You then keep your existing deck for spare parts (heads etc), should you need them in the future.

Yes thought about this.  Saw this one advertised on Gumtree and considered buying.  It has new belts installed as well, but I am not a technician so having one for spares does not interest me.  Thanks to Rod C, I have a local guy now who is having a look at my deck so hopefully will be sorted out soon

On 18/04/2020 at 13:16, firstone said:

Spares, especially heads would be good to have. As the tape is a ferris material the depost left on them during use can be damaging especially if the deck is not used regularly. I'd be inclined to clean the heads after use if you're not likely to use it much.

Yep I used to clean the heads all the time.  Have always done this.  Good old metho in a cotton bud did the trick.  Two second job once a week on the cassette deck and reel to reel

Mate mine is in with a bloke in Melbourne as we speak. He was good in that he called me back within an hour of me leaving a message and seems to know what he is talking about / seems very genuine. PM me if want his details as waiting to see how the repair goes this week before I broadcast

Update this guy (one man show) has been awesome. Good honest service and has a few tape decks he is also building up if your looking for a period right cassette radio deck.

Fixed my busted tape deck $120 including express post back home. Highly recommended.

Admins, if not allowed to post a plug let me know and I will remove the link:

http://www.oldcarradiosfixed.com.au/gallery/

based Melbourne