1977 911 Backdate to 1973 RSR Kinda

Hello all,

My name is Jason and I am new. New to owning a Porsche and new to the forum. But not new to being a lover of 911's. That passion has been around since I was a child  as has my appreciation for cars. Although to date the ownership has only extended to Holden's, with a Sandman, SS Torana, Brock commodore and a couple of others in the shed.

About 3 weeks ago I purchased a basket case. In  other words I basically bought it in a basket. It is a 77 guards red 911 original Australian delivered car and rust free. It was stripped and began being back dated 10 years ago by the previous owner who unfortunately passed away 3 years ago. His family didn't know what to do with the car until they recently decided it was too big a task for them to complete. The previous owner was going down a 73 rsr replica path and was building to targa and hill climb.

I bought it as a shell on a trolley that has had the long nose panel work done on the front. It has been seem welded, has had stainless oil cooler lines placed through the tunnel and adjustable mounts placed in the rear therefore the rear seat wells removed. Patrick racing oil tank mounted, a full cage fitted. The cage had not been signed off with CAMS and because it was done almost 10 years ago was now not compliant. I have now had the cage updated and signed off.

I got a lot of new parts with the car that have never been fitted. As mentioned this was being built basically as a race car but I am going down a more weekend club day car path. 

Some of the items include a 3.2 litre engine with Nickies cylinders, JE pistons, Xtreme racing heads, Doherty racing cams. 50mm PMO carbs among an array of other things all new in boxes. For the brakes I got Tilton pedal box and associated parts, and Brembo Grand Turismo brake kits for all corners along with custom made 17" Fuchs wheels x 8 and x 10. Front end is Smart racing ERP, swab bar and bump steer kit and for the rear Smart racing sway bar etc. It also came with FOX racing coil-overs for all corners. There is an array of other items, like twin spark distributor, lexen windows, Giken superlock diff, Fuel safe racing cell, Wevo engine mounts etc etc etc. Although all of it is still in a million pieces. 

The plan is; the engine is being assembled currently, the gearbox will be started soon, the cage has been done, the car finishes its sand blast next week. It will then get painted everywhere except the outer so assembly can start. Currently confirming leather and the interior will start also. 

I am being very ambitious and wanting it done by Christmas. Wish me luck. In will attempt to add some photos. Maybe to another post.

I will more that likely need some parts as some stage so any help will be appreciated.

Jason.

Exciting project good luck.

There are quite a few posts on the site on 73 RSR back dates and good knowledge in the members. worth spending an hour on this sites search function to mine previous posts and know how.

There are also cars ranging from loose “in the spirit of” tributes to nut and bolt RSR reproductions so you will find a lot of help (and free advice) available.

good luck, most are keen to follow a good RSR build so photos will be keenly devoured I suspect