Dead front shock

Merv

I have been tracking down a few squeaks in the front end of the 3.2 '88 Carrera .  I had already replaced the ball joints, tie rod ends and control arm bushings with OEM ones.   New anti-roll bar bushings did the job on the squeaking noise. 

Along the way, I checked the front shocks.  They are older Kony yellow inserts in the original struts.  RHS is great but the LHS has the slowest rebound I have ever seen and seems to resist all attempts to re-set it.  I suspect that its valving has had it (it may not even be adjustable).  I could buy another one but I am not sure how old this one is and if the model is still made? 

Alternatively a couple of new front shocks.  Any suggestions for road use? (in Australia).

Koni shocks can be rebuilt but the cost is almost the same as buying new but I have a pair I removed from the 930, yellow adjustable, and like yours, the left side is soft, because the left hits the edge of the road, and the right side is fine. What model /part number do you have? 

14 hours ago, Fishcop said:

Which car Merv?

1988 Carrera John.

14 hours ago, OZ930 said:

Koni shocks can be rebuilt but the cost is almost the same as buying new but I have a pair I removed from the 930, yellow adjustable, and like yours, the left side is soft, because the left hits the edge of the road, and the right side is fine. What model /part number do you have? 

OZ I didn't pull it out this afternoon as I ran out of time.

Like this https://www.pelicanparts.com/More_Info/KON86411039SPORT.htm?pn=KON-8641-1039SPORT&SVSVSI=0814&DID=197435

or this US Sachs https://www.pelicanparts.com/More_Info/91134191311.htm?pn=911-341-913-11-M10&SVSVSI=0814&DID=10025

Bilstein https://www.pelicanparts.com/More_Info/P36114.htm?pn=P-36-114-INT&SVSVSI=0814&DID=48034

KONI Classic https://automotivesuperstore.com.au/koni-86-1943

Aust Sachs https://automotivesuperstore.com.au/sachs-170-147 

The key thing is that it is the BOGE original black housing/strut. The Bilstein equivalent is 34001141.

On turning the shock I can feel at seems to be a detent at the base when depressed but no movement of that is possible.  I am pretty sure it is damaged.

Interested in what you have OZ. Other wise it is by 2 of the Sachs or another brand such as KONI

585E19E1-A314-4667-8BEF-BB2D49F88601

Hi Merv, these are the shocks.  One is soft in both compression and rebound, the other seems fine.  Unfortunately the adjusting nipple is seized on both.  Don’t know why, they were fine when I removed them.  This is the part number anyway

2D208601-67A3-41A0-A6DA-24B9985412EB

Thanks Paul will check it out.

OZ, PM sent

I checked my two existing Koni Sports and the RHS one - the adjuster turns and works and the LHS won't turn.  Have given it some Gibbs Oil to penetrate the adjuster shaft, but not hopeful. EDIT: the adjuster now works both ways. It was locked on the firmest setting and stuck. Now free but still not giving quite full rebound IMO.

Interested to try one of yours OZ.

I rang Koni years ago and they don't refurbish their shocks.  They gave me the number for "Smooth Suspension"  0397351248 and ask for Wayne.  He was the approved Koni reconditioner.  This was 5 or 6 years ago so I don't know whether they still exist.  The price to refurbish the shocks was not much less than new shocks.  So I bought new shocks...and one bloody leaked oil from the adjuster.

Your PM's are why I assumed your were willing to sell one of your used ones to compare the action to mine.  I replied asking the costs involved. Did you send an answer that I may have a have missed?

1 hour ago, Merv said:

Your PM's are why I assumed your were willing to sell one of your used ones to compare the action to mine.  I replied asking the costs involved. Did you send an answer that I may have a have missed?

Sorted by PM

Wayne from Smooth Suspension recently rebuilt the Koni Yellow Sport shockers on the C3 and was a lot cheaper than buying new shockers. 

He has also rebuilt two other sets of Koni Yellow shocks to my specs on Alfas. Wayne worked for Top Performance who I understand no longer service the shockers.

Good to know thanks Paul. My local Fulcrum manager has a degree in mech engineering and for 10 years re-built shocks.  He describes the process well with cutting the weld, rebuilding, re-welding and testing as quite extensive. My 356 had the original Koni blue front shocks and steering damper that I had rebuilt.

He really rates the quality in the Sachs shocks (Sachs/Boge were original fitment I believe).  Yellow Koni Sports are NA in Australia now.