Starting and Running Car that's not driven often

Hi all, 

I thought I'd ask, as I'm not too sure what the correct answer is.

My 911 is usually driven once a month, but sometimes with work and life, it can end up sitting around for a couple of months under the cover. 

Should it be started and run every so often, or is it fine to just sit on a trickle and start it when I drive it next?

I've heard different things, so thought I'd clarify. 

What's everyones thoughts? 

Starting and running it for a short session is probably worse than not running it.

Is the car stored inside in a reasonably sealed environment or outside in the ambient air...?  Moisture in the air is your enemy.

Start the car and it drags in moisture on a cold damp day. Water will condense in your engine and the exhaust etc unless you take it for a decent run.

My car is not a daily and sometimes a few weeks elapse before I get a chance to drive it.

I do make a habit of ensuring to only take it for a long drive when I do drive it though, so it never really sees a short trip.

I also keep my tyres at approx 10 psi above normal running pressures when not using it to avoid flat spotting.

I use a battery charger designed for boats to maintain the battery without overcharging it.

Most important of all.... change your oil at least yearly when not using the car all that much.

Good points.  Make the effort - drive it- is the best thing you can do for it.  It will last longer and ultimately cost less to maintain. If you haven't got the time then think about why you need to keep it.

1 hour ago, Costas said:

Starting and running it for a short session is probably worse than not running it.

Is the car stored inside in a reasonably sealed environment or outside in the ambient air...?  Moisture in the air is your enemy.

Start the car and it drags in moisture on a cold damp day. Water will condense in your engine and the exhaust etc unless you take it for a decent run.

My car is not a daily and sometimes a few weeks elapse before I get a chance to drive it.

I do make a habit of ensuring to only take it for a long drive when I do drive it though, so it never really sees a short trip.

I also keep my tyres at approx 10 psi above normal running pressures when not using it to avoid flat spotting.

I use a battery charger designed for boats to maintain the battery without overcharging it.

Most important of all.... change your oil at least yearly when not using the car all that much.

Thanks Costas. The cars garaged.

I guess the question I have is, if the cars going to be sitting there for a period of say 2 months not being driven. During this 2 month period, would it be better to run the car, or leave it as it is until the next time it's driven?

23 minutes ago, wangan said:

Thanks Costas. The cars garaged.

I guess the question I have is, if the cars going to be sitting there for a period of say 2 months not being driven. During this 2 month period, would it be better to run the car, or leave it as it is until the next time it's driven?

Leave it and then do a long run 

1 hour ago, wangan said:

if the cars going to be sitting there for a period of say 2 months not being driven. During this 2 month period, would it be better to run the car, or leave it as it is until the next time it's driven?

See below....

42 minutes ago, Skidmarks said:

Leave it and then do a long run 

Great Question. Thanks for asking as I'm in a similar situation with my older AC 911.

My Harley is in a similar position also, and may sit for several months on a trickle charger. But as mentioned above, generally take it out for a decent run to get everything nicely warmed up. Frasers were shocked to find it in such good mechanical condition given it's age, as they were expecting to come back to me with a list of issues at the last service. It's 21yrs old and has aprox 45,000km. Guess this proves they can sit (not ideal), but if they do, longer runs are preferred.

5 hours ago, Nikos said:

Great Question. Thanks for asking as I'm in a similar situation with my older AC 911.

My Harley is in a similar position also, and may sit for several months on a trickle charger. But as mentioned above, generally take it out for a decent run to get everything nicely warmed up. Frasers were shocked to find it in such good mechanical condition given it's age, as they were expecting to come back to me with a list of issues at the last service. It's 21yrs old and has aprox 45,000km. Guess this proves they can sit (not ideal), but if they do, longer runs are preferred.

Thanks Nikos. Good to know. 

My previous 911 sat for a year when I was setting up my new business. I just disconnected the battery. 

After a year the rear shocks had started to leak. 

Actually that's a good topic for a new thread. Issues you've had from leaving your car sitting idle for too long. This may encourage more of us to ensure we use our cars more often. You often hear people say you do more damage by not using these old cars, but if we can get people to post their actual experiences, such as your leaking rear shocks, it may help drive the point home. I try and take mine out at least 1/month, preferably every fortnight.

This is an excellent first world problem thread. For me its almost an enjoyable part time job keeping my 3 alive, I keep a couple at home and the other 35km away, so they are all rotated with one way runs all cars used at least once a fortnight, with the occasional  bigger run on a Sunday. A few years of doing this now and no problems with all cars staying nice and reliable thanks to mr ctek. 

George