Quick release steering wheel and hub

Hi all, 

I was thinking about buying a quick release and hub for my car. More for security. Instead of fitting an alarm, at least I can remove the steering wheel and store it while the cars not in use. 

I'm just wondering if anyone is using something similar. 

There are a few options in the states which look really good, like the Rothsport unit, but the only drawback is you lose the horn function, which is something I'd want of course. 

I have the Rothsport in my historic race car. Nice unit (and basically a knock off of the Porsche motorsport setup).  

It is indexed so you can't put the wheel on in the wrong position - which is important. 

Easy to rig up a horn button on one of the steering wheel spokes via a flexible/spiral wire.

1 hour ago, OBRUT said:

I have the Rothsport in my historic race car. Nice unit (and basically a knock off of the Porsche motorsport setup).  

It is indexed so you can't put the wheel on in the wrong position - which is important. 

Easy to rig up a horn button on one of the steering wheel spokes via a flexible/spiral wire.

Ideally I'd like it to run through the boss and QR, but I don't think I have many options. 

Does the Rothsport work with your turn signal cancelling @OBRUT

4 hours ago, wangan said:

Ideally I'd like it to run through the boss and QR, but I don't think I have many options. 

Does the Rothsport work with your turn signal cancelling @OBRUT

I think so - as it bolts to a regular hub. I’ll check later this week.

I’m pretty sure there are options with horn wiring, but be very suss of anything using splines or ball bearings etc. 

28 minutes ago, Redracn said:

Have you looked at Works Bell.
You may also want to check the legality (roadworthiness) of having a detachable steering wheel in a registered car. 

I can't find anything at all from works bell. They make a standard boss, which I can't find anywhere. In order to have it working with a quick release it needs to be a short boss, which I also can't find. No detachable steering wheel is legal. I'm not too concerned about that. 

• 2 weeks later...