Replacement space saver tyres

reedminor

Having sold my Swb 911 and bought a g series Carrera 3 I keep looking at my spare (space saver) wheel with horror and trepidation.

I imagine the tyre on my space saver is as old as the car - 43 years.....

Hoping I don’t get a puncture is not the solution.... so has anyone replaced a space saver tyre? If so how, where, how much please?

or do I buy a cheap 15 inch cookie cutter and tyre?

Justin

On 17/03/2021 at 21:44, reedminor said:

No ... Would you drive on a 43 year old tyre?

Yes.  The ones I’ve had/have look like brand new.

Agree that I wouldn’t be street racing with it on but confident it would be ok for a steady drive home.

I'd say it's wise to be cautious about its age, but I'm told that tire deterioration is mostly caused by exposure to heat, UV, and moisture. If the tire has been packed away and dry its whole life, it's entirely possible that it will still hold up to the conditions of a careful drive home, depending on distance of course (originally it was rated for 100 kph max speed). I had to use mine for a few weeks while one of the original wheels was being refinished. I was in the middle of my big AC project, so I only needed to be able to move the car in the garage while working on it. But the spare worked fine, held air the whole time, and showed no cracks or damage to the sidewall. Obviously that's nothing like driving conditions, but I would trust mine to at least get me off the freeway to a tire shop if possible. A drive home would depend on distance.

• 3 weeks later...

Tyre checked - it was manufactured 44th week of 1976 and was pronounced unsafe - with cracks and blisters in the sidewall.

A new one can be bought for $900+ gst.

So Ive pressed an old Cookie Cutter into service with a decent (but not outstanding) 195/60/ 15 tyre from Bob Jane on it for the tassie trip.

Would suggest people check theirs and make a proper assessment from there....

Justin

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...