Air con & fan issues

brian in buddina

My air con stopped blowing cold air a couple weeks ago. Luckily it waited until the summer ended. 
Then yesterday I noticed that all the fans blower speeds stopped working except the highest setting. I’m not sure if if these issues are related. After a drive yesterday all the fan speeds came back to working but still no air con.

A couple years ago the I had the air con compressor rebuilt and the system re gassed. I did check a few days ago to see if the compressor belt has failed but it was still in place & working. I had a read of Clark’s Garage last night to see if there was something I should check but nothing jumped out at me.

Questions: are these issues related? Relays? Fan switch wearing out? Where do I start to try & analyse the issue(s) here.

This may or may not be relevant but the 996 has an inherent problem with the ignition switch.

Went for a drive the other night and the fan, air conditioning and headlights wouldn't turn on. Turns out that as the switch wears out, it doesn’t turn back far enough to make the correct contact for everything to work properly.

A bit of googling and a small twist of the key and all was right in the world again. I just got a new one delivered yesterday so that’s the next job on the list ...

The fan resistor pack is under front cowl in front of windscreen. Remove, soak on white vinegar for an hour and give a good scrub. Once dry  reinstall.

Your heater clip is broken. Its on left under dash. I had to remove glove box but clip is easy to replace once that's out and cheap from nearest Porsche centre. Most online help articles are on LHD cars so glove box removal isn't mentioned

yes remove soak, then use a toothbrush to give a good clean, dry and reinstall.

You can get heater clip from local porsche centre and it's not expensive. Once glove box is out it's a 5 minute job. Remove power at battery before removing glove  box, as light in glove box can cause a short when you take glove box out(ask me how I found out ;) )

3 hours ago, TINGY said:

I had a 944 that did exactly this, sometimes work, sometimes not. It was the AC control module fan speed switch that was the culprit in the end.

Did you order one from Porsche? Are you referring to the fan speed switch, with the 0 to 4 settings?

Please excuse the dog hair!

3362A16C-6D9C-4F53-BB75-651156994D46.thumb.jpeg.f1e8f2affd84c79a5a0b94cb4b37763a.jpeg

That's it Brian, it comes out as a whole unit and the frame is a bit flimsy so be careful. I am sure mine was repaired in the past because you could see where the fan speed controller was pulled apart and from memory some solder was re-done. It's a Hella unit and they are Hella expensive.

• 3 months later...

That’s why you should buy an air conditioner. I just couldn’t survive without my air conditioner in my area, especially this summer. The only issue I had is that the air conditioner kept on corrupting and blowing any cold air. I tried to clean it several times, but it never worked out. That’s why I kept on asking several services to come and fix my air conditioner, but when it corrupted for the third time in the week, I decided to look for an alternative. I ended up finding this website https://www.marvellous.sg/aircon-not-cold/ that’s had a lot of different information about air conditioners and how to fix them. I also found a guide on how to fix my issue, and after following it, I was able to fix my air conditioner finally.