Buying Interstate - NSW

We will be purchasing a used Porsche later this week from NSW and taking it to Tassie.

I found the NSW transport website doesn't cover interstate purchases & rego transfer very well, but from what I could ascertain it seems that the owner lodges an electronic notice of disposal - does NSW still have the back of the rego certificate where the owner can sign for disposal when you exchange the bank cheque?

Does anything need to be done with the third party insurance coverage at the same time? (In Tassie we have a single rego & 3rd party arrangement)? Is there anything else I need to be aware of? (Have already done due diligence on the vehicle and lien search).

Yes, the NSW rego papers offer a disposal section for the seller and purchaser on the back.  The owner can also dispose of the vehicle online immediately.  If you're driving it home, just sign the buyer section of the disposal box for the seller and keep the rest of the paperwork.  Rego and CTP will be good for 14 days (if you were keeping it in NSW you would pay stamp duty and assume ownership within 14 days or cop penalties).  In your case, you'll re-register in Tas and the NSW plates will be forfeited and returned to NSW.  If there is a significant amount of rego still on the car, you can possibly claim a partial refund.

6 hours ago, 42 South said:

We will be purchasing a used Porsche later this week from NSW and taking it to Tassie.

I found the NSW transport website doesn't cover interstate purchases & rego transfer very well, but from what I could ascertain it seems that the owner lodges an electronic notice of disposal - does NSW still have the back of the rego certificate where the owner can sign for disposal when you exchange the bank cheque?

Does anything need to be done with the third party insurance coverage at the same time? (In Tassie we have a single rego & 3rd party arrangement)? Is there anything else I need to be aware of? (Have already done due diligence on the vehicle and lien search).

Come on Mark, spill the beans 🙂 

With the law between your legs and a smile on your face ... just offer up a copy of your licence and even sign a stat dec for the owner to say you will be responsible for any parking or road infringements and just drive the thing ....  it could have been sent to you on the slow boat from china ... and or via a workshop being repaired.. plenty of technicalities for you to hide in .. just insure and drive it ... take the long way home .. via back of lake george .. across jindi national park.. tallangatta and mitta mitta and into bright, catch ya breath , before you head for the boat , you wont reget it .  From bright theres some great runs too over the mountains and out to bairnsdale and a boring run home to the boat 

Trips of a lifetime 

It's going on a transporter as unfortunately we don't have the time, but we are doing a quick trip up the coast to Taree and back.

The difference in stamp duty between the states was interesting so we are happy to pay in Tassie (NSW Transport has confirmed that this is OK)

$  72,000.00  

NSW  $             4,950.00
QLD  $             2,520.00
SA  $             2,940.00
Tas  $             2,880.00
Vic  $             3,024.00
WA  $           4,680.000