Check Oil Level message

Sov

My new-to-me 996 Turbo is going in for a service on Tuesday, however, this morning a Check Oil Level (or something to that effect) message appeared on the cluster. Here's where I discovered an issue that wasn't picked up in the PPI, the menu will only cycle up on the stalk, not down. Sooo I can't check the level.

So the question is, does this message only display if the level is too low? Or does it also display if the level is too high?

If it's only when it's too low, I'll add 1 litre of 0W40 I have in the garage to get me over the hump until Tuesday.

I'll have the stalk looked at during the service. Almost perfect. But I guess that's to be expected of a 20 year old car.

UPDATE: Called Porsche. Message is only on low level. Recommended only topping up 0.5 litre.

Does anyone know if it's possible to retrofit a dipstick? An electronic measure just seems like a recipe for disaster.

I wouldn’t stress about oil level too much or trying to fit a dipstick. The gauge is doing the right thing warning you it’s just gone low.
As @smit2100 suggests, get some Mobil1 5/50 to keep at home and for the workshop. 
Mezgers do consume oil to varying degrees so you’ll be topping up from time to time depending on usage and consumption rates