Window motors

Doish13

Gents today was a mixed bag.

Great as my car was ready from the panel beaters and I have had some cosmetic and preventative maintenance done.

Not so great as the guys doing the work it appears have accidentally left the passenger window button stuck in the up mode. This happens from time to time ie the window winder button getting stuck in the up or down position. Usually I reset this however as I was not there I could not and as a result I have now a passenger window that does not move.

I believe the power supports both windows so I can say that the drivers window goes up and down no sweat just the passenger is an issue and both from drivers side switch and passengers. Anyone know if this can be a relay issue here or would that effect both windows?

Any idea what's up? Burnt motor?

I know I am asking for a diagnosis without much info however am flat out between now and the Canberra Ball Run and will be pissed if I'm not able to winde that fellow down on the drive.

Thoughts?

Worst of all I have buckles of proving it was done by the shop which I am certain it was and hence will have to pay for this myself.

Sorry to hear mate,

I had to relplace the passenger side door on my car - I ended up getting an auto electrician to sort the window out. Wish I could be of more help sorry. Hopefully someone here will know..............where are you Uncle?

Have you had a look at the switch that was stuck to see if the contacts are shorted out in the up/down location? I am just thinking if the contacts are shorting out this maybe why the drivers side switch will not work. I am not much of a sparky to be honest. All I really know is if you see smoke its prolly not a very good thing and if you see fire give it to a sparky and tell them "I dunno mate it just stopped working" it also helps if you can blame a person who is not with you for the fire.

Doish,

If the motor burnt out 1: you would definitely smell it, 2: the fuse would have blown. Can you remove the switch & disconnect the wiring behind the switch? If you can there should be 3 wires, 1 supplying power to the switch & 1 wire for up & 1 wire for down. Most likely the power wire will be the centre one, if you have a volt meter you can find the power wire by testing between the car body & the wires, at least one of them should have voltage with the ignition on. If there is no voltage on any of the wires you need to go back to the fuses, if there is power to one of the wires touch it to either the up or down wire (one wire at a time only, not all 3 together) you should hear the motor try & start, just touch the wires together momentarily. If the motor try's to move then it will be the switch mechanism that is faulty. If you can expose the switch & send me a photo I can probably tell you which wires are which.

Most commonly though both windows will be supplied by one fuse so if one window works & the other doesn't then it's the switch or motor, give me a pm if you want to discuss.

• 1 month later...

Thank you gents. I've been so busy lately with work I've not even looked at it.

Facts I know:

- drivers window working fine

- passenger window does not work from drivers and passenger switch

- I can hear a clicking noise coming from passenger side just not movement - like a solenoid on / off

- passenger switch on drivers side was stuck on up position when I received my car back from paint shop

- no smell of burning

I will test the wires this weekend and report as need to fix this. Thank you again

DB

Archived