Mar 19-21, Phillip Island Classic

Hi Doug,

I have managed to go every year for the past 4 and normally on the Saturday. Less people and you can really get in amongst the cars in the pits. But I will be working in Malaysia all week and not getting home until Saturday morning so i might pass reluctantly this year. I will keep an eye on whatever you organise and if I feel up to it might tag along.

Cheers

Chris

Hi Doug,

yes normally a large contingent of Porsches there and normally Porsche Cars Aust support the event by having a number of museum cars along. I would really recommend the Saturday if you want to get up close to the cars in the pits. I am amazed that you can get right up alongside the cars in the garages and nobody is fussed! Almost to the point of getting itno them but that would probably cause a fuss... last year there was a 962 and one of the mercs from the 90's that webber flew upside down in, truly awesome and the year before Porsche had a 917 there.I am actually really disappointed that the timing works out so bad for me, oh well.

You will have a ball and nothing like hearing the sound of 17 Formula 5000's at full throttle, AWESOME!!

Cheers

Chris

One of the best Historic motorsport events of the year !....

I'll be running in Group N (Not in a Porsche)........ But an event not to be missed

Porsche Cars Australia has some very very interesting cars to be displayed from the Museum.... Stay tuned for this (soon to be announced)

Ditto!

The best Classic event in Victoria, and probably Australia.

I'm a 50/50 chance at this stage... depends what I can get away with... Sandown/Haunted Hills/P.Is. Classic/Grand Prix - 4 events in 5 weeks?! :rolleyes::P

If you're thinking of it Doug, maybe we'll do the silver 911 convoy... Peter?

Kerry

Hi Doug,

I will be there on Sunday with the Shannons Cavalcade group which does a parade lap.For those interested in joining the group try sending an expression of interest to Shannons Fax number Melb 8543 2255 there may be some places left - cost about $50, entry included.

Cheers,Mark.

I'm a 50/50 chance at this stage... depends what I can get away with... Sandown/Haunted Hills/P.Is. Classic/Grand Prix - 4 events in 5 weeks?! :rolleyes::P

If you're thinking of it Doug, maybe we'll do the silver 911 convoy... Peter?

Kerry

I am very interested in attending. All reports are very positive.

Happy to do the P-car convoy. Any other takers???

What do you think about 9fan's Shannons Cavalcade group? Shall I enquire?

Doug

For those interested,

Shannons Phillip Island Classic Cavalcade details as follows,

- departs Sunday 21/3/10 8:30am from Shannons Cheltenham to PI,

- $40 includes entry for driver + 1 adult passenger, 1 parade lap of PI circuit, + Shannons goodie bag (btw std entry to classic is $35 pp)

- 100 places available, currently 15 places left.

Options

- join 9fan in calvalcade on Sunday (I've got the booking forms if required),

- informal P-car convoy on Saturday,

- other?

Anyone interested?

Anyone have a view?

Doug

Hi fellas,

Saturday is the day as far as I am concerned, and I competed in the P.I. Classic over many years for what that is worth.

The Shannon's thing probably is OK if you haven't been around the circuit, but why pay the money to drive around in a traffic jam. Pretty frustrating when you are on a racetrack eh!

Saturday all the competitors are still there whereas Sunday many of the entrants are up and gone as soon as their race is over. Sort of gives the impression that event is over rather than the Saturday when all are filled with high expectation.

That's my 5 cents worth anyway so let's see what the majority wants to do.

Dave

Hi All,

Seems no one is arguing against the PI Classic being one the best historic motorsport days of the year. :D

It also looks like the Saturday is best for less crowds, better access to cars and the day when most cars are still at the event. :D:D

Does any previous attendees know what time to get there on the Saturday that beats the traffic and crowds?

Is anyone interested in meeting up somewhere along Sth Gippy of Bass Hwy?

Doug

Hi Doug,

I normally aim to be there between 8.30 and 9. This gives you a chance to park your car on the fence line somewhere around the track. i normally park to the left as soon as you go in through the gates. It gives a great view of cars coming down through Lukey heights and around the first turn and down the straight.

Hope that helps.

Wish I could come!! :(

Cheers

Chris

Yep, I will be in on the Saturday run.

8:30-9:00 arrival sounds pretty fair to me.

The track has a ruling that race engines are not allowed to be started until 9:00am anyway.

Probably twist Steve Porter's arm too.

Meeting on the Sth Gippsland Hwy is the best way to go for us.

Dave

Sth Gippsland Hwy it is then.

This will be good as we can meet up with anyone coming from the Peninsula as well.

I will look for a McDonalds or large service station, somewhere around Tooradin or Koo Wee Rup, as a meeting point.

Cheers,

Doug

That will be good for us Doug as we prefer to come over the hill and through the back way which brings us out further down the track on Sth. Gippy Hwy.

A meeting time of about 8am sounds about right to me

Dave

To those wanting to head to the Phillip Island Classic in convoy...

I reckon meeting in Tooradin is the way to go as the Sth Gippsland Hwy runs right through the township.

See Tooradin Info

Meeting time at 8am for 8:15 departure.

Does anyone know of a good cafe in Tooradin to meet at?

Doug

• 2 weeks later...

Tooradin can't be that big...I don't think we'll have a problem finding each other...I reckon we just meet at the first cafe coming in to town on the PI bound side.

So far the convoy looks like,

Doug,

Kerry (70/30)

Mark

Frank

Dave

Steve

Red3.2

The more the merrier B)

Archived