Parking Sensors

Hi, I am looking to have reverse parking sensors fitted to my 996 turbo (it is incredibly difficult to reverse park with no reversing camera or parking sensors ( i am waiting for PCCM Plus to be updated to include options for front and rear cameras before going down that route).  I am looking for someone in Sydney to instal them for me, I want an original looking sensor and a high quality job.  Has anyone had this done and do you have any recommendations.

Thanks

Hey @Shane911,

Agree park sensors are a great help on a 911. Though, I would only want the factory look, as I have seen some aftermarket fitment look tacky. 

I have a 996 which has factory fitted option rear park sensors. So, given they were available, I would ask your local Porsche dealer if they can arrange parts and fitment, or recommend someone to outsource it (using genuine parts). 

Hth.

Thanks Luzzo 

That was the first place I tried and here is their response.

Hey Shane,

Thank you for your email.

Unfortunately we do not have the ability to fit parking sensors to your 996.

There  may be aftermarket options available to you – unfortunately none that I can recommend as we are a factory owned dealer and can only recommend genuine products for the vehicle.

I do have parking sensors on my 996 Carerra and they look factory original but I had them fitted in Melbourne about 15 years ago, so that is not an option for me.  I have googled businesses that fit them but a lot of these people can be franchisees (ex bankers, truck drivers etc) and you don’t know how much experience that they have in fitting these things and as well as original look, I don’t want anyone inexperienced drilling into my Turbo bumper, so was hoping for recommendations from someone that has had this done locally

Righto:

1. FleeBay for the factory sensors (note all VAG use the same part)
  2. FleeBay for any generic control unit
  3. Any autoelec worth their salt can 'make it happen'
    1. Possibly speak to the autoelec first as they may be able to source a suitable control unit

Something also to consider - (just popped in my head) the factory bumpers may have a housing to hold the sensor in? I have no idea, but something to research!

Edited by P-Kay

7 hours ago, Shane911 said:

That was the first place I tried and here is their response.

I was hoping that if the P Dealer couldn't do it themselves, they may have a relationship with someone who could. 

If possible, find another dealer. 

It's always about finding someone that can come recommended. 

6 hours ago, P-Kay said:

Something also to consider - (just popped in my head) the factory bumpers may have a housing to hold the sensor in? I have no idea, but something to research!

I think @P-Kay is onto this. I'm not sure that factory parts can be retro-fitted, as they would have some housing/locating method, as well as wiring looms? 

I have heard of Panel shops doing the install. And if you could find someone for the job, would be great to work a way to get genuine (or genuine looking) sensors in place.  

22 minutes ago, luzzo said:

I was hoping that if the P Dealer couldn't do it themselves, they may have a relationship with someone who could. 

If possible, find another dealer. 

It's always about finding someone that can come recommended. 

I think @P-Kay is onto this. I'm not sure that factory parts can be retro-fitted, as they would have some housing/locating method, as well as wiring looms? 

I have heard of Panel shops doing the install. And if you could find someone for the job, would be great to work a way to get genuine sensors in place.  

Just doing a bit of reading , As far as the Turbo goes they suggest that they should be standard issue, You might have an aftermarket bumper fitted to the car, Could this be a possibility?

7 hours ago, tomo said:

That's weird, As my 2004 996 has sensors fitted also. 😳

I don't know what was standard for a 996Turbo, but a Porsche VIN check will tell you.

Otherwise, should be a factory option @tomo 

On my 9964S it is factory code 635 - Park Assistant. 

@Shane911 easy to check your option codes in delivery books or under bonnet sticker.  (Or, as above can be confirmed with Porsche). 

Thanks everyone for your input, to answer your questions.

I am pretty sure bumper is original.

I do not have the 635 option code in my Owners Manual so wasn’t fitted originally by the looks of it.

I have found someone that looks to have the experience to do this for me and has installed them on Porsches previously (Creative Installations) and am waiting on them for a quote. I will also want to see what the sensors look like, but from photos from previous jobs they look similar to factory fitted options.  

https://www.creativeinstallations.com.au/portfolio/porsche/911#https%3A%2F%2Fwww.creativeinstallations.com.au%2Fsites%2Fdefault%2Ffiles%2Fstyles%2Ffullscreenwm800x600%2Fpublic%2Fportfolio%2Fporsche_911_carrera_s_2006_reverse_camera_1.jpg%3Fitok%3DVF_U7Ss0

Am thinking of going back to the dealer and telling them that this was a factory fitted option and that Genuine Porsche parts are available so don’t understand why they can’t fit them BUT given that they didn’t know this and probably don’t do any/many then it doesn’t give me much confidence (and of course they would charge 3x more than what a independent fitter would)

Would those of you with them fitted by the factory be able to post some pics so I can tell if the aftermarket ones that I am considering really look like the factor fitted ones.

Thanks

12 hours ago, Shane911 said:

12 hours ago, Shane911 said:

Would those of you with them fitted by the factory be able to post some pics so I can tell if the aftermarket ones that I am considering really look like the factor fitted ones.

Thanks

Here you go Shane there is 4 in all .They are about 14mm in diameter and stand about .5 of a mm proud .

20220615_205456.jpg

20220616_075001.jpg

thanks Tomo, so they are not completely flush with the car bumper and do have a bit of a lip?  like these on the new Porsche's (below)

CEA50A00-419F-4809-A225-B4D81B503789_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.f273dd724251a514a617fdd9a0751da2.jpeg

I really like these aftermarket sensors but can't find anyone in Australia that fits them

http://poollretrofits.com/parking-aid-systems/

look at the photos in their gallery and you can hardly see the sensors, a lot of Porsche owners on the UK Porsche forum have fitted them.  Have searched here but no luck.

a good youtube video of these sensors too

1 hour ago, Shane911 said:

thanks Tomo, so they are not completely flush with the car bumper and do have a bit of a lip?  like these on the new Porsche's (below)

CEA50A00-419F-4809-A225-B4D81B503789_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.f273dd724251a514a617fdd9a0751da2.jpeg

I really like these aftermarket sensors but can't find anyone in Australia that fits them

http://poollretrofits.com/parking-aid-systems/

look at the photos in their gallery and you can hardly see the sensors, a lot of Porsche owners on the UK Porsche forum have fitted them.  Have searched here but no luck.

a good youtube video of these sensors too

No worries Shane, The aftermarket Joby's look flush where the Porsche fitted Joby's have a slight lip as I say , But look the part anyway , Have you rang James at Autohaus in Sydney, He seems to be fairly knowledgeable in all things Porsche, Good luck in your quest. :)

17 minutes ago, Joz said:

Wouldn't a reverse camera be more efficient and less obtrusive?

I've got the sensors and would rather a cam.

Yes, Cam would be good, But you have update your your head unit to get the screen 2 operate the cam me thinks.

It would be easier to update the head unit and have Carplay, front and rear cameras, maps, digital radio etc for about a $k than have somebody drill holes and fit aftermarket non reversible equipment. Trying to buy factory sensors and controller would probably cost more than a $k,, If you have a PCM 2 or 3 its very easy to fit cameras that integrate into the main screen, it took me a day not having done it before.  Look up NAVTV.com, 

12 hours ago, tomo said:

Yes, Cam would be good, But you have update your your head unit to get the screen 2 operate the cam me thinks.

Rear vision mirror cameras are such a simple fix in this situation. Virtually unnoticeable.