993 ongoing general maintenance and improvements tips

Thommo66

I've got a '97 993 Cab tipper sitting on 180K's.  Had it serviced again only 4 months ago and all in good shape.  A very minor ongoing oil leak but PCM classic cars service manger said nothing to worry about and typical for 993's ( his words ).  I try get it out for a drive once a week at least to keep everything moving and also get away for longer drives down the Great ocean road every now and again.  It seems to run well although I am not an experienced enough air cooled P / 993 owner to have an ear for what " ok " vs " great " sounds like.  Aside from the annual service and regular checking of the oil level (given) are there any other recommendations or tips you can give me to keep on top and possibly even improve the running of this little gem ?  I'm not a mechanic or even close but happy to get my hands dirty and learn as I go. 

Any tips welcome from long term 993 owners ie. ... top 2 - 3 things i could be tinkering with or be looking at on a regular basis ?   thanks in advance

993.jpg

• 1 month later...

One very good book worth owning is the Porsche 993 Essential Companion.

I have both the Porsche factory repair manuals and the above. The Essential Companion explains systems quite well. I think I paid about $65 back then. Look for a used copy if necesssry because new ones are up there in price. Also the Bentley manual.

I've had my 993 for almost 20 years & it's the best Porsche I ever owned. Mine's done over 200,000km on regular oil changes as per T-Man & Thommo66's advice. While they'll do city driving without complaint I find they drive much better with regular long drives so think you're on the money. I go a couple of hundred km's on a run & literally use everything while driving to give it a good workout. I guess it's the same as old blokes.....we have to keep moving to stay limber & well lubricated !! Awesome cars....relax & enjoy !!