Classic Road Replacement for 997.1 and 987.1

Apogee

Looks like Porsche is going to release a Classic Radio replacement for the 997.1 and 987.1 PCM 2.1 models next year. Doesn't look like it covers the gen 2 models however as the facia is metallic green instead of black for the PCM 3.0 model that came with the Gen 2 models.

https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/sku997pccm.html

Got my eye on this one. Haven't really been happy with the aftermarket offerings with branding/fascia etc. Just worth noting that there's also 3 different location versions (Europe/Asia/America), and I believe we're getting the European version, along with Australian maps. Anyone know Aussie stockists? I know Autohaus Hamilton was advertising these for the 996.

https://content.eu.porsche.com/prod/pag/classic/ClassicExplorer.nsf/ClassicPartsExplorerCampaign?ReadForm&country=international&cati=PCCM&se=Boxster / Cayman&ge=987&mo=Cayman S#chooseDerivates

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting video of the first installation. Does have some additional functionality, some added features in the sub-settings menu (I don't know if the guys with the CDR24 will have the same features though?). Seems like there might be an option also to add a backup camera, but yet to be confirmed.

• 2 weeks later...

I have an aftermarket head unit installed in my Boxster 987.1, which I don't really like, however it already has Apple/Android Carplay and a backup camera and the ability to plug a USB into the front like the "official" version. It also has a manual volume knob. I think Porsche missed a good opportunity without having a USB from the back or even the USB box like the classic 986/996 version has - at least with those ones, you can put the USB box into the little cubby and have it out of the way. This 987/997 version means you have to have a dicky cable running off the front, which is no different to the aftermarket Sony one I already have. Sure, the Porsche one looks like it would've been there from day one, but not sure if it would be worth the cost for me to change what I have - especially that the backup camera is not confirmed for the Boxster version. If it doesn't have a camera it would be a backward step for me. The other killer is no CD player. Not a huge deal, but it would've been "retro cool" to allow you to put CD's into it. Lol!

I still have the stock CDR-24 unit if I ever want to go back to original anyway.

Be interesting to see how many people might go with this.