3.2 Died suddenly

smule

Started the car this morning all perfect as per normal, idle dropped as normal after a few seconds... ready to take off for the morning commute and the car just died ... crank crank.. nothing .. grrrr

Popped the back open leads looks fine all should be ok, so around to the passenger seat... hand under the seat give the DME a tap and shake... try to crank again still nothing !!!..

Running late so jump in my other car and take the boring commute to work on a beautiful morning...

So will try and change the DME tonight, but failing that anything else that i could look at ?

Fuel, pump relay is the only thing I've ever had trouble with (working loose on my Paris>Dakar commute)

Some stuff to try here http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/911_carrera_start_troubleshoot/911_carrera_start_troubleshoot.htm

Always good to work through (DIY) a problem like this! I'm sure it's a simple answer, good luck!

Here's a lesson in always looking for the obvious things first and not jumping to conclusions...

Came home, put the seat up and all the way forward, unplugged DME replaced with spare...crank still no start and no sound of fuel pump priming...Mutter obscenities scratch head and search for test light.

Open bonnet, remove fuse box cover and Fuse 6 (fuel pump)is completely corroded, replace and start first crank..

Gotta love an easy fix, but here's the next question... Why the corrosion/oxidation of the fuse contact points ?

The front is not well sealed. Moisture gets in easily , & stays there if you have a carpet.

Once a year , all fuses should be removed and lightly sanded. Some folk replace the box with aftermarket parts which use the modern blade type fuses. I can't be bothered.

I suspect some fuses are of poor quality and prone to corrosion.

German electrics whilst slightly better than Lucas , are not perfect!

The front is not well sealed. Moisture gets in easily , & stays there if you have a carpet.

Once a year , all fuses should be removed and lightly sanded. Some folk replace the box with aftermarket parts which use the modern blade type fuses. I can't be bothered.

I suspect some fuses are of poor quality and prone to corrosion.

German electrics whilst slightly better than Lucas , are not perfect!

Only German engineers could work out how to wire an entire car using only 2 wire colours.  I think they've done a pretty decent job.  

oh, and don't say name of the Prince of Darkness, it's like saying the name of that Scottish play. it only brings bad luck.  :ph34r:

Only German engineers could work out how to wire an entire car using only 2 wire colours.  I think they've done a pretty decent job.  

oh, and don't say name of the Prince of Darkness, it's like saying the name of that Scottish play. it only brings bad luck.  :ph34r:

You mean "Macbeth?"  :D

Love that pic uncle, I have a RRC and well aware of the Lucas reputation..

Anyway, good to be back on the road today... been using the car a lot more lately making use of our beautiful weather before its gets to wet ...

Archived