996 mk1 side skirts installation kit

Mttel

Hi All,

I have a couple of 996 mk1 side skirts 996 559 980 02 and 981 02.

Trying to work out the parts catalogue and if I need the aluminium retaining strip which is screwed to the rocker panel to locate/hold the top edge (items 2 and 4) or if 3M double sided adhesive tape would be sufficient (that seems to be how there were fixed to the car previously).

Getting conflicting advice from parts suppliers who have suggested that the mk1s are heavier than the mk2s and so need the retaining strip.

any recent real world feedback’s would be appreciated.

image007.jpeg

17 hours ago, tomo said:

@TwoHeadsTas just fitted some to his .1 He would be in know.

Haven't done this yet, but mine are plastic and held on with 3M tape.  @Mttel's look to be genuine parts??  Presume fibreglass??  If so, might be better with the retaining strip???  @James P might have better advice??

On 13/08/2023 at 18:35, Mttel said:

They are genuine and are HDPE material, similar to the front and rear bumpers.

I had the genuine 996.1 side skirts installed by the body shop who sprayed them.  I believe they are held on by 3M strips at the top. 

See here an installation page someone else posted: http://apex996.blogspot.com/2008/09/gt3-aero-kit-installation.html?m=1

Also, you might want to think about having your existing sills clear wrapped as small rocks etc will get into the gap at the top of the side skirts and sit above the 3M tape