911 G50 clutch clicking noise

Hi all, 

Noticed this today. Not sure if it's always been the case, or if it's a new noise. 

When I depress the clutch and release it, there's a clicking noise almost at the very top of the travel (fully released). There's also a slight squeek, like something needs greasing that you can hear faintly. 

The ribbing noise is just me in the leather. I've attached a video. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks 

Ross,

That is quite a click and obviously not your knees knocking!

Suggest you have someone confirm the knock is not coming from the clutch throwout yoke in the transmission bellhousing.  You may have to jack the back of the car up so they can feel the bellhousing while you work the clutch.

Hopefully it's just a dodgy clevis pin or loose adjuster in the pedal box but if your car hasn't had a yoke cross shaft bearing upgrade - there is a Porsche tech bulletin on this - it may be getting close to getting one! 

Just accurately confirm where the knock is from first.

2 hours ago, Peter M said:

Ross,

That is quite a click and obviously not your knees knocking!

Suggest you have someone confirm the knock is not coming from the clutch throwout yoke in the transmission bellhousing.  You may have to jack the back of the car up so they can feel the bellhousing while you work the clutch.

Hopefully it's just a dodgy clevis pin or loose adjuster in the pedal box but if your car hasn't had a yoke cross shaft bearing upgrade - there is a Porsche tech bulletin on this - it may be getting close to getting one! 

Just accurately confirm where the knock is from first.

Thanks for the reply Peter. It feels like the sound is coming from under the dash. In front of me, if anything. Doesn't sound like it's coming from the transmission, but I could be wrong. 

It makes the noise when depressing the clutch and releasing the clutch. It's definately louder when pressing the clutch though. Almost sounds like a ratchet spanner clicking. 

8 minutes ago, Peter M said:

Ross,

Does the noise seem dependent on how much force you are placing on the pedal or related to pedal travel?

Hopefully it is from the dash area, much cheaper to fix!

No Peter. 

If I release slow, or fast noise is there. It's strange, if I depress the pedal the click is at a different point to when it clicks as I release the pedal. As I release the pedal, the clicks almost right at the top of the pedal travel. 

I found this thread, where some think it's fairly common, or normal. Doesn't feel normal to me though. 

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911-technical-forum/403844-g50-clutch-noise-click-ping.html

I'm with @autojack

Sounds like the bushes at the pivot of the pedals. Pretty sure they're plastic and wear out/break over time, and need to be replaced. A lot earlier car, but I had a clicking noise in my '66 912 when I pushed the clutch pedal (albeit nowhere near as loud), so I'd be starting there and replace them with brass ones 

If it's that, then I'm sure it'll be fine, yet I'd check the sloppiness at the base of the pedal, and maybe the linkages under there too, as it also could be a pin/bolt that's come loose or something.

If you can, also check where the clutch actuator meets the gearbox to ensure nothing is sticking

might be the nylon bushings in the pedals too (that's probably what the squeak is) they get old and need replacing.

use something like silicon spray or lithium grease - just don't use WD40 as it'll make them swell.

Ross,

Given it's coming from under the dash, I suggest you remove the mat and the floorboard and while watching and listening depress the clutch pedal with your hand.

My guess is it's the return spring on the clutch pedal moving.  I think if it was a failed bushing you would feel the pedal "wobble".

Should be fine to drive anyway.

• 1 month later...

For anyone interested  it was actually in the passenger side spring mechanism. Just under the a/c condesor. The clutch mechanism runs through there. Noise was from a worn roll pin which was replaced. 

I've now noticed a noise only when releasing the clutch pedal almost like a creak. I think it may be from outside the car, as when I open the door it's louder. 

If I release the pedal slower its more of a creak and if I do it faster it's almost a click. 

I've uploaded audio here. You can here it right at the start:

https://voca.ro/1aJI3drEAzdO

I might need a second person to pinpoint it. Might be a silly question, but can the clutch be damaged by me depressing and releasing the pedal 50-100 times trying to find this noise?