Help - Global Upload Limit

I have read the how to upload images thread, which says pictures can't be greater than 2MB.

However I get this message on my posts: 'Used 392.51K of your 500K global upload quota (Max. single file size: 107.49K)'

Does this mean I am only allowed to upload 500K total in my PFA lifetime? The balance available never seems to decrease?

Any help appreciated.

Hi Greg,

I can't say that the management of attachments is this forum softwares biggest selling point! <_<

You need to delete what images you have already uploaded, and then you will have more space for new attachments, however, what a few of us that regularly do this are finding is that it is easier in the long run to open a Photobucket account (or similar), upload the pics to that account, and then that account has an easy copy and paste link for each shot. It takes about the same amount of time, and other than having to go to another web page, offers more advantages than disadvantages. Advantages include limitless uploads, and the pics seem to display bigger in the post as well, rather than having to go the extra click to open them.

There is an option for us to look at creating a Gallery on this site, which would give us all more space but as yet the need for it hasn't justified the cost.

Hope this helps,

Kerry

Hi Greg,

I can't say that the management of attachments is this forum softwares biggest selling point! <_<

You need to delete what images you have already uploaded, and then you will have more space for new attachments, however, what a few of us that regularly do this are finding is that it is easier in the long run to open a Photobucket account (or similar), upload the pics to that account, and then that account has an easy copy and paste link for each shot. It takes about the same amount of time, and other than having to go to another web page, offers more advantages than disadvantages. Advantages include limitless uploads, and the pics seem to display bigger in the post as well, rather than having to go the extra click to open them.

There is an option for us to look at creating a Gallery on this site, which would give us all more space but as yet the need for it hasn't justified the cost.

Hope this helps,

Kerry

Thanks Kerry.

I will see how my Flickr account goes.

Hi Greg,

FYI... As far as I can work out, a FLICKR account allows you to store your pics within your account, and control public access to the viewing of them. In order to view your pics, you offer a link to the FLICKR site, where your account is, and people view your pics on your page of the FLICKR website.

PHOTOBUCKET on the other hand offers the same, but with the difference that you have different options about how you want to share your pics.

As you can see from below, when you put the curser above any of your pics, a drop down appears and it offers a variety of sharing options.

If you click on the "Direct Link", it will highlight the link,

pic1.jpg

and then if you copy that into your post (as below), it will place your pic directly into the reply, negating the need for someone looking to view your image/s having to go to another page and site. (exactly as I've done here)

pic2.jpg

Anyhoo, for what its worth.... ;)

Kerry

• 2 years later...

So, I was going to make a post to the forum today with an attached pic and discovered that there is a 20K limit. Have I missed something or is that really the limit for attached picture sizes ?

Most forum sites have limits for pictures. Photobucket is dead easy when you get the hang of it.

I can upload a photo from my phone and have it on the forum within second.

Give it a go, it is very straightforward.

Join a 3rd party web site in order to load pics to this forum ? That seems like a bit of a deterrence tbh.

My understanding is that most forum software providers charge additional fees for extra services. That is their business model. More upload space is one of those extra services.

We (the forum users) could "buy" additional upload space, but so far we have chosen to keep the forum free to members. To maintain free of charge forum access we need to keep costs down, which means not buying additional services like upload space. I think it is a small inconvenience of having to use a 3rd party (free) website to host our posted pics that gives the greater benefit of the free forum.

I hope this explains the situation and as Theo says "Photobucket...is very straightforward".

Archived