996TT vs 997.1 Carrera S

Hi guys,

I've been looking around for a few months for my first Porsche and have narrowed the choice down to a 996 Turbo or 997.1 Carrera S, either car will be manual and Aus delivered.

Has anyone gone from one to the other and can give an opinion on what each was like to live with?

I am aware of the IMS issues in the 997 so I'd only buy one with the repair done. I have also heard about the coolant lines causing dramas with the 996TT, but apparently it's not overly common.

Happy to hear all opinions, and/or pros and cons for either car.

IMS on MY06 997’s (around mid 05 on) is not the main issue on 997.1 S models. Bore score is the main problem to check for. 
Weighed up a 996 Turbo and 997S and decided the latter due to mainly looks and up keep costs. 

2 very different cars both cosmetically and performance wise. 
So much latent power to be extracted from the turbo, which generally comes with more options as standard compared to boxes ticked by original 997 buyer. 
Manual S is a rare beast because GFC knocked sales around, so you will probably find both cars will hold their value similarly. 
Turbo thrust is intoxicating and for that alone, the 996 is the better choice 

16 hours ago, flamingporsche said:

2 very different cars both cosmetically and performance wise. 
So much latent power to be extracted from the turbo, which generally comes with more options as standard compared to boxes ticked by original 997 buyer. 
Manual S is a rare beast because GFC knocked sales around, so you will probably find both cars will hold their value similarly. 
Turbo thrust is intoxicating and for that alone, the 996 is the better choice 

Not convinced turbo thrust is intoxicating in stock guise with 3 pedals.  Pretty  underwhelming for some.  BUT, those in know simply add a  half decent free flowing exhaust and a tune and the  associated  turbo thrust from a 3rd pull is indeed intoxicating and the highlight of owning a 996 turbo.  Plus the stock vaccum cleaner mezger note in is totally transformed  to be very gt3 ish especially when you see a 1 out in front on the boost gauge and the windows down.  The slogan like your own portable amusement park I can vouch for on a 996 turbo with the above caveats of must do tweaks.

Wheres the factory boost gauge on a 997S?