911 or 912

philipk

Now I have decided LHD is okay, the next question is a driveable usable 912 or a project 911?

I have just been offered this 1966 912  for $11k with  a vw motor.

The dealer will install a 912 motor for an extra $2k.

I think these cars are so cheap at the moment.

post-6-0-71998700-1367999780_thumb.jpg

Can't vouch for the car but like the colour. What I would say is pay the extra 2k for the 912 motor, you won't get a longblock in Oz for.double that. To give you an idea I paid $7k to import a 356sc motor from the states for my 356.

Can't vouch for the car but like the colour. What I would say is pay the extra 2k for the 912 motor, you won't get a longblock in Oz for.double that. To give you an idea I paid $7k to import a 356sc motor from the states for my 356.

I have been quoted $2200 to bring it in from the states and then of all the extras to get it registered.

My wife would kill me , my son would love me.

I am tempted to buy it and leave it in the states and use it while I am there working later in the year.

Philip car looks a longtime off the road...?

They probably should put the 912 motor in for the same money. What is the condition of 616 engine. If the body and interior, suspension , box sound perhaps factor an engine refresh before install as part of purchase.

It has been sitting for  a while but he has said it will be drivable as an everyday car.

I am after a project not a concourse.

I have a 996 as an everyday car so this will be a car I can do as a project with my son.

Buy as original as you can.

Flared guards will detract from the cars appeal and value.

I would suggest, that anything below USD12k will not be original and will have problems. A Good original runner with cosmetic blemishes will cost you north of 12k.

Remembering that parts for the Mezger 4 Cylinder(Type 616) engine are not cheap.

Trim pieces, repair panels etc... are all getting expensive as the 912 shares alot of them with the highly sought after SWB 911 as well.

Try and find the most complete 'survivor' and original car you can, believe me, an extra 2k will buy and save you lots of folding in the long run...........

The Cheap 912's (actually all cars) are cheap for a Reason............they have been messed with and parts are broken and/or missing......

Suggest going over to 912bbs website and looking at cars for sale on there. You will find some loved and good quality enthusiast owned 912's on there.

Buy on condition and originality. Its easy to remove originality, its extremely hard to put it back.

I have a LHD 66 912 I drove daily for 2 years - only every had 1 issue on the crazy 46 degree melbourne day a few years back. Fuel vapourized and car stopped (my fault drove it for nearly 2hrs in traffic) - 5hrs later I turned the key all fine. They seemed pretty bullet proof as daily drivers. I prefer LHD cars I've got 2 so thats no issue in my books. Some people can't get over that fact. $13K is dirt cheap - is it here in OZ?

All the cars I have been looking at are in America.

I go there alot so I will {eventually} get one and bring it back.

I have been quoted $2200 to pick up and deliver, door to door exc. taxes.

I am thinking about buying one and using it for a work car for the next 12 months although it might not be too good in Colorado in the winter.

I just got back and they closed I70 to Denver because of too much snow, and this was in MAY!!!

I think I would need heating {and prob 4wd}.

Just read a great article in GTPORSCHE MAY2013 about buy cheap, buy twice.

I think I will keep saving and increase my budget and buy one in better condition when I am in the states later in the year.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived