looking for a diagnosis

duk

Doing a track day on the weekend and dumped the oil around the track. Was a split hose between the oil tank and engine-the lower one. The hose wasn't that old and appeared in good condition. The hose was full rubber in a s shape. I am thinking pressure related or could simply be something on the track. Thoughts?  It is a 76 carrera3

Sometimes the hose could just be on its way out. I had a new coolant hose for the turbo and during Cam break in (2000 rpm for 20 min) it burst and all the coolant came out. Lucky it was right when i needed to turn the car off. 

Replace it with a 3-4 layer silicone hose or even 6.

It's in a vulnerable location! I replaced mine on the basis of age. It's cheap insurance. Plus I carry some high temp silicone bandage on the off chance it gets damaged on the road.

Where was the split , Duk? Autopsy pics please!

I guess the first you notice this is the lack of oil pressure and the smoke?

The sight of other guys fishtailing out of control and a marshall waving you down. Don't know how many litres you'd need to lose before the pressure dropped. With a small split you'd get a lap or two in before the graunching started!

Thanks for the replies,  strangely i didnt pick it as there was no smoke, the only thing that happened was the event was red flagged. I was looking for some reason on track but nothing,  then when entering the pits the car infront of me was pulled over by the officials and was surrounded by the fire marshalls with extinguishers. They waved me thru and i went and parked on grass. A couple of mins later an official approaches me and tells me that i was dropping oil, i said "what" and he pointed to a trail from the back of my car down the hill ,thru the pits and then says" it goes half way around the track!" It was still jetting out under pressure at this point but not for long.

No pics as the split was at the end of the hose near engine so we cut the hose and refitted to stop making a bigger mess.

I didn't notice the drop in oil pressure and there was no noises, i probably did 1.5 laps after the spill but i think without damage. I will be cutting the oil filter open as my first step and then go from there. Oil is Joe Gibbs historic racer 15-50 i think.

A few clues to help, the engine was out prior to this event, i had drove it on the street for a bit, i had done 15min qualifying, 15min hard driving session and 4 or 5 laps in the next session when the red flag came out. Does this negate the breather issue or did the hose finally give up after being streched? been thinking that hose could of been pinched from hose clamp?

Well, i type  with relief as i cut the oil filter open tonight and it was clean. Changed the hose and filled with oil then started and after a moment of horror as the  pressure gauge sat still, it sprung to life. It seems that the hose was to blame as once we had a good look at it, it was brittle right at the end where it split. In appearance the hose looked good but we are thinking that the constant heat from the exhaust was the culprit as it is pretty close to that area. I could tear the rubber easily and it broke away with little resistance. I tried the same the oil tank end and i couldn't even damage it. FYI the breather theory is mute as that hose is under suction not pressure. I should have realised as it comes straight out of the oil tank which we all know is not sealed.  I gather the hose was probably 12 years old but could be older. Very happy Duk 

Archived