Hi there

Hi gang,

Have been admiring the cars for many years and finally in a position to acquire one. Looking to buy one for historic rallies so must be around 30 years old. Have been looking at the forum for anything appropriate.

Went out and had a look at a 944 this morning but the poor thing has had a very very rough life with bodywork taking a beating, so not for me. The search goes on, and to some extent, that is the best part!

Looking forward to sharing stories.

Cheers,

Spada

Welcome to the forum mate. 

Just keep looking and make sure you drive them all! 944's are good cars. they come with a 911 maintenance price tag though, There's a 944 for sale here on the forum i think.

Good luck on what ever you find.

Thanks Pauly, yes I did see the one on this forum, just have to find an excuse to go down to Melbourne to have a look at it first hand. Yeah, will definitey take them for a test drive. Anything in particular to look out for?

Well i'm not sure what condition you're after but here's a list of things about 944s

- Dashboards are notarise to cracks. If it has no cracks it means it's been fixed or it rarely has seen the sun. 

- Power steering racks like to leak. It's hard to pinpoint if it's the pump, rack or lines. But fixable. 

- Speed and Reference sensors play a major part in the 944 engine. The plugs crack and break, also the wires crack and break also causing no start issues. (now this is a 944 turbo thing. i think the 944 N/A has only 1 sensor but i could be wrong and it might have 2)

Recommended to replace sensors and harness from the DME (computer)

- These are interface engines so the Timing belt should be maintained and be replaced every 3 years or 80,000 ks Same goes with the water pump. 

- Every oil service you should check the tension of the belts too. 

there's not much to look for if the owner has looked after it. If is maintained, the car will not give you any issues. 

You'd look for pretty much anything you'd look for in any other car. oil leaks, coolant leaks ect. front wheel bearings are easy to change.  There is so much information on rennlist about 944s and maintenance.

The bodies are galvanised so there shouldn't be rust.

Also look out for:

If it has a sunroof, they like to leak.. Reason is that the seal is old, or the water drains are clogged. Both easy fixes.  

Hatch leaks, After so many years the glass pulls apart from the top frame and seal. Doesn't usually happen, but it's an all day thing to fix and reseal and it'll last another 20 odd years. 

Torque Tube bearings. Now this is a new-ish issue. when you let go of the clutch you can gear bearings grind, means the bearings in the torque tube bearings are shot. Porsche don't make replacements, but you can locate replacement bearings. There are write ups on how to do this

Also the DME Relay likes to shit it self if it's old. and you won't be able to start the car. cheap and easy to replace. 

Just remember these are common issues. Doesn't mean something will happen once every 2 months. It's stuff that will happen or has happened and wont happend for another 10 or so years. 

Most of this stuff happens because of general maintenance isn't up to scratch.   

In addition to Pauly's notes they have 50/50 weight balance so can out handle most cars,very good torque, good visibility,great driving position and look COOL.

Just can't stop driving and competing in them !     :D

Archived